Parsley Rice Recipe
Yep! That’s cheddar cheese in there! This is such an easy and tasty parsley rice casserole. It’s a nice change from having plov (rice pilaf) all the time; although I have nothing against eating plov all the time. I happen to love plov.
Let me tell you the story of how we stumbled upon this recipe. We were invited to another family’s Thanksgiving this year (my Brother-in-law’s mom’s house). Tanya (the hostesses daughter-in-law and my sisters sister-in-law; too much information) made this dish and brought it to the dinner.
It’s kind of an unassuming looking dish or maybe my final picture just didn’t do it justice, but when I took a bite; I just knew. I cleaned my plate that night. Tanya emailed me the recipe and we made it the following day. It was easy and just the way I remembered it; really, really good!
Note: original recipe from: Becky Higgins in Creating Keepsakes November 2008.
Ingredients for Parsley Rice:
2 eggs, beaten with a fork
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup canola or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely grated
½ tsp. dry mustard
1 cup parsley, chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup dry rice (cooked with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp butter)
How to Make Parsley Rice:
1. Simmer rice in 2 cups water with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp butter for 15-20 minutes.
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Beat two eggs in a medium size mixing bowl with a fork until just combined. Finely grate the onion, finely chop 1 cup of parsley and add both to the bowl with eggs. Grate 2 cups of cheddar cheese (I used mild cheddar) and add to the bowl with the rest of ingredients as well.
3. Add 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1 ½ cups milk, ½ cup oil, and mix all the ingredients together.
4. Finally add cooked rice to the bowl with the rest of ingredients and mix everything together until combined.
5. Butter a 9 x 11 baking dish, pour the rice mixture in and bake for 1 hour at 350˚F.
6. Serve immediately. It also reheats really well. I had this for lunch at work 2 nights in a row!
Parsley Rice Recipe
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely grated
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup dry rice (plus ½ tsp salt and 1 tbsp butter to cook)
- Simmer rice in 2 cups water (with ½ tsp salt and 1 tbsp butter) for 15-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, beat two eggs in medium size mixing bowl with a fork; just until combined, finely grate the onion, chop 1 cup of parsley, grate 2 cups of cheddar cheese and add them to the bowl as well.
- Add 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp dry mustard, 1 ½ cups milk, ½ cup oil, and mix all the ingredients together.
- Add cooked rice to the bowl with the rest of ingredients and mix everything together until combined.
- Using butter, grease a 9 x 11 baking dish, pour in the rice mixture and bake for 1 hour at 350˚F.