Cobb Salad with the Best Dressing (VIDEO)
Easy Chicken Cobb Salad with the best homemade Cobb Salad Dressing! This protein-packed salad is a meal in itself loaded with crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, chicken, bacon, boiled eggs, creamy avocado and crumbled blue cheese.
You will want the easy Balsamic Vinaigrette on all of your salads. Watch the video tutorial below and you will be craving it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is a Cobb Salad?
The original Cobb Salad was developed by Bob Cobb in 1937 for his Brown Derby Restaurant in Los Angeles. It has become a famous American dish and is similar to a Chef’s Salad. It starts with a bed of green lettuce with rows of ingredients arranged over the top just like we did in our Salmon Cobb Salad, and it is served with a vinaigrette.
Cobb Salad Ingredients:
We love using cooked Chicken Breast from our Juicy Instant Pot Whole Chicken but a store-bought rotisserie chicken works great to save time and the only thing you have to cook is the bacon and hard-boiled eggs. This is one super satisfying salad. Since it has so much protein, you can eat it as a main course or as a side salad.
Can I Substitute the Blue Cheese?
The cheese of choice for the original Cobb Salad is blue cheese. We used a gorgonzola blue cheese but a Roquefort or other blue cheese would work as well. If you aren’t a fan of blue cheese, a crumbled feta would work here also.
What is the Best Cobb Salad Dressing?
A vinaigrette is the classic dressing for Cobb Salad. We use a homemade balsamic vinaigrette here. If you wanted to substitute the dressing, our Avocado Ranch or Jalapeno Ranch would work well. If using a creamy ranch-based dressing, I would recommend using feta cheese instead of blue cheese.
Can I Make Cobb Salad Ahead?
You can make the salad and the dressing 2-3 hours ahead of your dinner. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Keep the salad and dressing separate until ready to serve. Here are some make-ahead tips:
- Dressing – make this in a mason jar so you can shake it well just before serving in case it separates. Serve it right out of the mason jar.
- Lettuce can be rinsed and dried ahead (a salad Spinner works best), then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Avocado should be sliced shortly before serving since avocado tends to discolor when it comes in contact with air.
- Chicken Breast can be pre-cooked and chilled (or use meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time).
- Bacon can be browned ahead. Drain on paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Eggs can be made several days in advance. Cook hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate until ready to use.
This Chicken Cobb Salad is easy to assemble but sure looks stunning when served. Everything about this salad is good! This homemade version blows the Chick Fil a Cobb Salad and Cheesecake Factory’s salad out of the water.
More Top-Rated Salad Recipes:
- Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing
- Avocado Chicken Salad – our #1 Salad Recipe
- Beet Salad with arugula and goat cheese
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad – wildly popular
- Avocado Corn Salad – vibrant and beautiful
- Chickpea Salad – protein-packed
Watch the Cobb Salad Video Tutorial:
I hope this Chicken Cobb Salad recipe becomes a new favorite salad for you. If you enjoyed this video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and make sure to click the bell icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video.
Cobb Salad with the Best Cobb Salad Dressing
Chicken Cobb Salad Ingredients:
- 6 oz bacon, (6 slices) chopped and browned
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, 5 cups chopped, rinsed and dried
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, from a cooked chicken
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled (or feta cheese)
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Sautee chopped bacon on a skillet until browned and crisp (5 min), then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool. Cook 2 hard-boiled eggs then peel and quarter.
- Chop, rinse and spin dry romaine lettuce and arrange on a platter. Arrange remaining salad ingredients (chicken, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, onion, blue cheese, and bacon) in rows over salad then sprinkle the finely chopped parsley over the salad.
- Transfer dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake like crazy. Drizzle over salad just before serving or let guests add their own dressing to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen