Easy Taco Soup Recipe
An Easy Taco Soup Recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes. This hearty soup is loaded with ground beef, tomatoes, corn and beans with a homemade taco seasoning. This recipe has similar ingredients to chili but is filled with all the favorites you’d get in a taco.
Like our Beef Chili, this is the perfect bowl of comfort for cooler weather!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey. Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing a Taco Soup Recipe!
Taco Soup Recipe:
We love all foods Mexican around here. From shrimp fajitas, to classic beef tacos or even ceviche, Mexican-inspired recipes are always on rotation. This taco soup is a great substitute for Taco Tuesday when you want tacos yet something hot. The ground beef combined with corn, peppers and tomatoes, loaded with beans for protein is such a great combination of flavors.
How to Make Taco Soup
- TACO SEASONING– Prepare homemade taco seasoning (see ingredients below), or use a store-bought seasoning and season to taste
- MEAT- Sauté the ground beef in a Dutch oven or large pot with a heavy bottom. Frequently stir and break up the meat as it’s being cooked. Lightly season the meat and mix well.
- VEGETABLE- While the meat is sautéing, finely chop the onion and cube the tomatoes and peppers. NOTE: You can substitute the fresh tomatoes for canned diced tomatoes with or without chili, depending on how spicy you want the soup to be.
- SIMMER- Once the meat is sautéed, add in the tomatoes, peppers, corn, drained beans, broth and seasonings. Turn soup to low and cook 12-15 minutes.
Can I Substitute the Meat?
We prefer the flavor of the beef for classic taco soup, but you can successfully substitute the ground turkey for ground turkey or ground pork.
Tips for the BEST Taco Soup
- If you enjoy your food spicy, add in chopped jalapenos to taste with the remaining ingredients.
- You can add the onion, green and red pepper as the meat is cooked if you want the ingredients to all to be really tender.
- If you don’t have both green and red peppers, you can just use one whole green or red pepper.
- The beans may be added with the remaining ingredients if you want them soft. However, you can add them 5 minutes before the soup is done cooking if you just want to have them hold firm.
- This soup turns out hearty. Add more broth than the indicated amount if you prefer to have more liquid in the soup.
How to Serve Taco Soup?
Just like with tacos, you can change up the toppings for the taco soup with personal favorites. All the favorite toppings you’d add to a good taco can with the soup (well, minus lettuce, that would be weird, ha!). The toppings may be served in individual bowls on the table allowing your family to top their soup as they like it, just like you would tacos. We really enjoy serving this with:
- Tortilla chips or crushed Doritos
- A dollop of sour cream
- Diced avocado,
- Cheddar or Mexican cheese
- Fresh cilantro
TIP: If you like heat, add some hot sauce or Sriracha to the soup.
This recipe brings together two amazing recipes in one: tacos and soup, a perfect combination. You are totally in for a treat with this quick taco soup.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili – an easy family favorite
- Fish Tacos – with the best fish taco sauce
- Chicken Gyozas– Copycat Japanese restaurant appetizer.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
The easiest homemade taco soup recipe loaded with ground beef, beans, corn, pepper and tomatoes with a homemade taco seasoning. Top soup with avocado, cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp oil sautéing
- 1 small onion finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 16 oz can beans, drained (kidney or pinto)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp oregano
Combine the ingredients for the taco seasoning.
In a Dutch oven, heat oil. Once hot, sauté ground meat breaking it up as it’s cooked, lightly season with the taco seasoning.
Meanwhile, finely chop the onion. Cube the red pepper, green pepper and tomatoes.
Once the meat is browned, add the remaining ingredients and seasonings. Turn heat to low and cook 12-15 minutes. Serve soup hot with desired toppings.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen