Meet your new favorite red pizza sauce! The secret is out and this is how the pros make red sauce for pizza. It’s ridiculously easy and since there is no cooking required, this red sauce has beautiful tomato flavor similar to what you’d enjoy in a fancy Italian pizzeria!
P.S. We love this on homemade Pizza Dough, but it doubles as a great dip for breadsticks or pizza crust.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Why this is the BEST Pizza Sauce:
Pizza sauce made from scratch is so much better than store-bought pizza sauces. Pre-cooked and canned sauces tend to dry out on a pizza and the true flavor of the tomatoes becomes dull, while this uncooked sauce keeps it’s vibrant tomato flavor and color.
Ingredients for Homemade Pizza Sauce:
Start with your favorite crushed tomatoes. We love Italian San Marzano tomatoes and a single 28 oz can is all you need to make about 3 cups of tomato sauce. Simple flavorings are all you need: garlic, extra virgin olive oil, fine sea salt, and dried oregano.
You might be tempted to add more than 1/2 Tbsp salt but after the flavors meld, the sauce will be perfect. Also, remember your toppings (like cheese) will also add saltiness to your pizza.
How to Make Pizza Sauce:
- Pulse together all of the ingredients until blended and well-combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 7 days before using. It’s best the next day.
How to Store Pizza Sauce:
We love this red sauce because it is a make-ahead recipe. It keeps really well for at least a week in the refrigerator and just gets better with time as the flavors meld together. We love it best the next day which is perfect with our overnight pizza dough.
- TO REFRIGERATE: Pour sauce into a mason jar or airtight storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 to 2 weeks.
- TO FREEZE: You can also freeze pizza sauce by portioning into freezer-safe zip bags, remove any extra air and seal. Lay flat in the freezer and it will be quicker to thaw. You can also freeze pizza dough for an easy pizza night when the craving hits.
P.S. If you prefer a white sauce for pizza, make sure to try our homemade garlic-parmesan White Pizza Sauce. It is our children’s favorite and the one they always request for homemade pizza.
Get the Print-friendly Recipe for Red Pizza Sauce below:
Homemade Pizza Sauce (5-Minute Recipe)
- Combine all of your ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse together until well combined and blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for the flavors to meld at least 3 hours or store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
Our Best-Ever Homemade Condiments:
When it comes to sauces and condiments, homemade always wins. Here are our top sauces, dips, dressings, and condiments that you have to try!
- Homemade Tartar Sauce – the perfect blend of flavors and super easy
- Tzatziki Sauce – fresh, light and perfect for chicken and veggies
- Marinara Sauce – takes just 20 minutes and the flavor is amazing
- Horseradish Sauce – mouthwatering and excellent over beef
- Italian Dressing – creamy but light and tangy