White Bean Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This soup is wholesome comfort food. The sausages make easy fuss-free meatballs and they infuse the soup with great flavor. P.S. the parmesan - don't skip it!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Raw Johnsonville brats Original Sausages sliced into 1/2" thick rings
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe tomatos diced
- 2 medium carrots sliced into rings
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 can 15 oz white beans with their juice (or make your own)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth/stock
- 4 medium kale leaves ribs removed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Grated parmesan to garnish and serve
Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over med/high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Slice sausages and add to hot oil and saute 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Add diced onions and sauté another 3 minutes. Add carrots and tomatoes and sauté another 5 minutes until softened.
Add garlic and stir until fragrant (1 min) then add 8 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Toss in beans and kale and cook until kale is tender (5 min). Season to taste with salt and pepper (I added 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper) then remove from heat. Serve garnished with parmesan cheese.
I left the sausage skins on because it held the easy "meatballs" together, but you can peel it off if you prefer and just have clumps of sausage meat which would still taste great!