Mushroom Rice Pilaf (a one-pot meal)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This mushroom rice pilaf (plov) has so many layers of flavor! It's delicious, easy, and has simple ingredients.
- 1 large or 2 medium onions about 2 1/2 cups, finely chopped
- 1 lb white button mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cup long grain rice such as basmati
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Fresh dill for garnish optional
Using a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot with tight fitting lid, over medium/high heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp butter. Add onions and sauté until translucent (5 min) then add sliced mushrooms and cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are lightly golden (8-10 min). Add in 2 pressed garlic cloves and stir (1 min).
Add 1/2 cup white wine and cook until mostly evaporated (2-3 min). Stir in the rice then add 4 cups broth, 2 Tbsp butter, 1 tsp salt and a pinch of black pepper.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is fully cooked through and liquid absorbed (15-18 min). Give the rice a quick stir and serve garnished with dill or parsley.