BLT Salad with Avocado
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This BLT salad is everything we love about a BLT minus the carbs which makes this the healthy version :), although we've been known to add croutons ;).
- 12 slices lean center-cut bacon or 6-8 thick slices
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise p.s. it tastes great with real mayo too!
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium or 1 large head of romaine 6 cups chopped
- 1 medium Hass avocado chopped
Put bacon in a large non-stick skillet and saute over low heat, turning often, until crisp. Transfer to papertowels to cool, then crumble or chop bacon.
In a medium bowl, combine chopped tomatoes with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/8 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes allowing the tomatoes to release their juiciness. This scrumptious and easy concoction is your dressing.
To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates then top each with 1/4 of the tomato "dressing" then divide the avocado and bacon evenly among the plates. If you're feeling less fancy, toss everything together in a large salad bowl and serve.
Credits: Based on Gina Homolka's BLT Salad with Avocado recipe from The SkinnyTaste Cookbook.