Beef Stew Recipe
Every bit of this beef soup is infused with wonderful flavor from slow roasting in the oven. Pair it with fresh bread or serve it over mashed potatoes.
- 6 oz bacon chopped into 1/4" wide strips
- 2 Tbsp olive oil to sautee
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (or beef chuck cut into 1" pieces)
- 2 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly gorund
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups good dry red wine
- 1 lb mushrooms thickly sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2" thick pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth or beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb small potatoes new potatoes, or fingerling, halved or quartered
In a large, oven-proof pot, sauté bacon over medium heat until golden brown and fat is released. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a separate bowl.
While bacon is cooking, place beef in a large mixing bowl and season with 1/2 Tbsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Sprinkle beef with 1/4 cup flour and toss to combine and evenly coat beef. Transfer beef in 2 batches into the hot bacon fat and cook over med/high heat, until beef is browned (3 min per side). Add olive oil if needed. Transfer browned beef to the bowl with bacon.
Add 2 cups wine to the pot and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom to deglaze the pot. Add sliced mushrooms and simmer over medium heat about 10 min.
Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add sliced carrots, diced onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves, and saute 4 min. Add 1 Tbsp tomato paste and sautee another minute. Transfer veggies to the soup pot.
Add 4 cups beef broth, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Return beef and bacon to the pot then add potatoes. Stir to combine and make sure potatoes are submerged in liquid. Bake at 325˚F oven for 1 hour and 45 min.
For a healthier stew, you can tilt the pot after it comes out of the oven to allow the liquid to pool to one side, then skim off any excess fat.