Beef Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 55 minutes
Ingredients for Beef Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- 10-12 medium bell peppers any color
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 whole eggs minus the shell
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes 1 large tomato or 2 small
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled and pressed
- Handful of fresh parsley finely chopped (1 tbsp dried parsley would work as well)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt plus 2 tbsp vinegar for boiling water
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 Tbsp mrs dash or your favorite seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 heaping tbsp sour cream
- 2 cups freshly chopped tomatoes or 1 cup marinara
- 2 cups reserved water from bell peppers
Cut the tops off each pepper and remove the seeds from the inside with your hands.
Fill a large soup pot 2/3 with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp salt.
Place all of the peppers and their lids in the pot. Add more water if needed to cover the peppers. Cover and cook 3 minutes, then turn off the stove and let the peppers sit while you prep the rest of the ingredients (about 30-40 minutes). Reserve 2 cups of water from the pot.
The Meat Mix:
In a large skillet, heat 4 tbsp oil over medium/high heat.
Add 3 grated carrots, 1 chopped onion, 2 cups chopped tomato and season with parsley, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Saute until soft. Press 2 cloves of garlic into the skillet and saute another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid with paddle attachment for this) mix: 2 lbs ground beef, 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice, 2 whole eggs and 1 tsp salt. Mix in the sauteed carrot mix until well combined.
Loosely stuff the peppers with the beef mix. Fill them but don't pack the mixture in. Arrange them in a dutch oven or a large soup pot with tight fitting lid.
In a large skillet, saute 2 grated carrots, 2 cups freshly chopped tomatoes (or 1 cup marinara). Stir in 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar and a heaping tbsp of sour cream. Add 2 cups water and stir to blend.
Pour the sauce over the stuffed peppers and cover peppers with lids.
Two Ways to Cook these:
If using the lidded soup pot, bring to a light boil, then cover and simmer 40 minutes over medium heat.
If using a dutch oven (recommended method), cover with lid and bake at 450°F for 20-25 minutes, then reduce heat to 350˚ F and bake 1 hour.