Russian Tea Cakes Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour use all-purpose if you don’t have wheat.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter 1/2 pound butter or 16 tbsp at room temperature
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- ½ cup confectioners powdered sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, cream 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla, until smooth.
Gradually mix in the 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/4 tsp salt.
Use a spoon to mix in walnuts until well distributed.
Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a clean baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are very lightly browned.
Fill a bowl with powdered sugar and roll the balls in it while they are still warm.
Once cookies are at room temperature, roll them in powdered sugar again to get perfect little snowballs.