Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed (can reduce to 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup white sugar for less sweet taste, reduce a few Tbsp
- 3/4 cup cold water or half pineapple juice and half water
- I used pineapple juice and it turned out great
- 4 to 5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 5 makes a pretty thick sauce
In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white sugar until combined.
In a separate cup, whisk 3/4 cup cold water (or pineapple juice) with 4 Tbsp cornstarch until well blended. Whisk vigorously into the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil while whisking until bubbly, then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, remove from heat. Keep in mind, the sauce will get thicker when cooled.