Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
A Mushroom Potato Soup with a creamy but light base. This is so hearty and satisfying.
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- ½ cup chopped green onion, fresh or frozen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped dill, fresh, dried or frozen plus extra for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoons salt, add more at the end to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, green onion and sauté 5 minutes.
Add 6 cups chicken broth. Season with salt, pepper, 2 teaspoons dill and throw in the bay leaf.
Add the chopped potatoes – cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes. Potatoes should be firm but tender.
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add to soup pot.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine half-and-half and ¼ cup flour until smooth. Slowly stir into the soup and bring to a gentle boil. Soup will thicken.
For a healthier version, replace all butter with olive oil. Skipping step number 5 still makes really delicious soup :D