Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour *or gluten free flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs well beaten with a fork
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs such as panko **see notes for GF option
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 3 Tbsp extra light olive oil plus more as needed
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese, divided (1 1/2 cups shredded)
- 6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped to garnish
Season chicken breasts with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste. Cut a deep slit into each breast without cutting all the way through and stuff each with 2-3 Tbsp of mozzarella, closing the edges to seal.
Set up 3 large bowls. In the first, pour 1/2 cup flour. In the second, beat 2 large eggs thoroughly with a fork. In the third, stir together 1/2 cup bread crumbs and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.
Working with 1 stuffed chicken breast at a time, carefully dredge in flour, tapping off any excess. Then dip into the beaten eggs, letting any excess egg drip back into the bowl. Finally dip in bread crumbs, turning a couple times to get a good coating.
Place a large, deep pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add 3 Tbsp olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Once oil is hot, add the breaded chicken in a single layer and sauté 4 min per side or until golden brown on each side.
Pour 2 cups of marinara sauce around the chicken and spoon some of the marinara onto the center of each chicken breast. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the stuffed chicken then bake uncovered at 400˚F for 15-20 min, or until an instant read thermometer reads 165˚F when inserted into the chicken (mine was ready at 15 min). Garnish with freshly chopped basil.
*For Gluten Free version, we used Namaste brand flour and **finely crushed GF cracker crumbs by the "Glutino" brand.