Easy Marinated Tomatoes Recipe
- 4 1/2 lbs medium roma tomatoes, rinsed
- 2 bell peppers, any color, seeded, chopped into large pieces
- 2 jalapeños, (or 5 tiny hot peppers with seeds)
- 1 large garlic head (or 2 medium heads), 16-20 cloves, peeled
- 1 bunch dill , (1/2 cup chopped) fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp salt such as sea salt (not iodized), (50 grams)
Combine chopped bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, whole garlic cloves, dill and parsley into a large food processor or blender and pulse to finely chop.
Transfer mixture to medium bowl and add 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 1/2 Tbsp salt. Stir to combine.
Cut tomatoes in halves (or quarters if using larger tomatoes), trimming off fibrous stem tops. Layer tomatoes and marinade into large 1 gallon jar, alternating with tomatoes and marinade until jar is full.
Cover with lid and tighten. Turn jar upside-down, placing it over a plate to catch any leaks. Refrigerate up-side-down 12 hours (*see note). After 12 hours, flip the jar right side-up and enjoy! Refrigerate remaining tomatoes keeping jar right-side-up.
*Turning the bottle up-side-down in the refrigerator allows the tomatoes at the top of the jar to be fully submerged and fully marinated overnight.
Note on Nutrition Values: It is difficult to produce accurate nutrition values for this recipe since most of the marinade is typically discarded when the tomatoes are eaten.