Clam Chowder Recipe (VIDEO)
Homemade clam chowder is easy and a real treat. It's creamy, but light and so satisfying. This creamy clam chowder recipe is loaded with tender clams, silky potatoes and crunchy bacon.
- 6 slices lean bacon cut into 1/2" strips
- 2 medium carrots sliced into thin rings or half rings
- 2 celery ribs finely diced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup chopped clams with their juice from 2 small cans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs 6 medium potatoes (yukon gold or russet), peeled
- 2 cups milk any kind
- 1 cup whipping cream or heavy whipping cream
Heat a large pot or dutch oven over med/high heat and add the chopped bacon. Sauté, stirring occasionally until browned and crisp then transfer to paper towel lined plate. Keep 3 Tbsp of bacon grease in the pot (discard excess if desired).
Add prepared carrots, onion and celery and continue cooking over med/nigh heat, stirring occasionally until soft and golden (7-8 min). Sprinkle in 4 Tbsp flour, and saute another minute, stirring constantly.
Add 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup chopped clams with their juice,1 bay leaf, 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Bring soup to a light boil.
While soup is heating up, chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces about 1/4" thick. Add potatoes to pot then stir in 2 cups milk and 1 cup whipping cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and lightly boil until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork (about 20 min). Season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, garnish with cooked bacon and fresh cilantro.
The soup will thicken more as it cools. If needed, you can thin it out by adding more milk or chicken broth and bringing it to a boil once more.