Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
A golden cheesy crust seals in the fluffy, moist and creamy center of this zucchini casserole. This zucchini casserole recipe is easy, irresistibly delicious and a great way to use up extra garden vegetables!
- 3 lbs green zucchini (6 medium)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided (1 tsp for sprinkling and 1/2 tsp for casserole)
- 2 cups cooked white rice*
- 1 cup sour cream, (divided into 2/3 and 1/3)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs (large)
- 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash seasoning, or your favorite salt-free seasoning
- 8 oz Colby jack cheese, 3 cups shredded (or use Mexican cheese)
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped, plus more for garnish
Prep: Preheat oven to 400˚F and butter a 9x13 casserole dish.
How to Make Zucchini Casserole:
Grate zucchini on the large holes (or the grating attachment on a food processor). Transfer grated zucchini to a colander over the sink and stir in 1 tsp salt. Let stand 10 min, stirring a couple of times then squeeze out the excess moisture with your hands. Transfer drained zucchini to a large mixing bowl.
Mix 2/3 cup sour cream with 1/2 tsp baking powder and let stand while zucchini drains (8-10 min).
Into the mixing bowl with drained zucchini, stir in 4 eggs and sour cream mixture.
Add cooked rice and 2 cups cheese. Stir in 1/2 cup chives, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp
Mrs Dash seasoning.
Pour mixture into buttered casserole dish and spread 1/3 cup sour cream over the top. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over the surface and bake uncovered on the center rack at 400˚ for 40 min. Let stand for 10 min before serving.
*To cook rice for this recipe, you will need 1 cup of uncooked rice.