Zuppa Toscana - Olive Garden Copycat
Homemade Zuppa Toscana is loaded with Italian sausage, bacon, kale and potatoes. Learn how to make Zuppa Toscana soup as made popular by Olive Garden!
- 6 oz bacon, chopped
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, The "Hot" variety
- 1 medium head garlic, 10 large cloves, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock, (32 oz)
- 6 cups water, (48 oz)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/4" thick pieces
- 1 kale bundle, leaves stripped and chopped (6 cups)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to serve, optional
In a large pot or dutch oven (5.5 qt), over medium-high heat, add chopped bacon and sauté until browned (5-7 mins). Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and spoon out excess oil, leaving about 1 Tbsp oil in the pot.
Add Italian sausage, breaking it up with your spatula and sauté until cooked through (5 min). Remove to paper towel lined plate.
Finely dice onion and add to the pot. Saute 5 min or until soft and golden then add minced garlic and saute 1 min.
Add 4 cups broth and 6 cups water, and bring to boil. Add sliced potatoes and cook 13-14 min or until easily pierced with a fork.
When potatoes nearly done, add chopped kale and cooked sausage and bring everything to a light boil.
Stir in 1 cup cream and bring to boil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper then remove from heat. Garnish with bacon and grated parmesan.