Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
This creamy chicken noodle soup loaded with tender shredded chicken, plump noodles, and healthy vegetables. It's hearty, delicious and loved by everyone who tries it!
- 6 cups chicken broth, w used low sodium
- 5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 chicken thighs, skinless (bone-in or boneless)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, 2 carrots grated, 1 carrot sliced into thin rings or half circles
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped or thinly sliced if you prefer
- 2 cups pasta such as rotini, egg noodles, or your favorite kind
- 1 cup corn, from 15 oz can, or preferably 1 cooked cob
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp fresh or frozen dill
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash, or your favorite salt-free seasoning
In a large soup pot, combine 6 cups broth, 5 cups water and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Bring to a boil then add chicken thighs (no need to trim fat), and boil uncovered 20 min. Skim off impurities that rise to the top. While chicken is cooking, proceed with step 2.
Place a large pan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté until softened (5 min), then increase heat to med/high and add grated carrots, chopped celery and sauté 5-7 min, stirring often until soft and golden then transfer to soup pot.
Remove chicken thighs from the pot and let rest until cool enough to handle, then use forks or hands to shred chicken, discarding any bones and fat (which should come off easily). Return shredded chicken to the pot (by the time it's cooled and shredded, this is usually after step 4).
Add 2 cups pasta, sliced carrots and corn to the soup pot and continue cooking 15 min at a low boil until pasta is at desired softness. You can skim off any excess oil from the top at this point if you want the soup to be a little lighter.
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt 4 Tbsp butter, whisk in 1/3 cup flour and cook whisking constantly for 1 to 2 min or until just barely turning golden. Ladle 1 cup of hot broth from the soup pot into flour mixture, whisking continually until well blended then whisk in 1/2 cup heavy cream and transfer mixture to the soup pot, stirring until well blended.
Season soup with 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash (or your favorite salt free seasoning) and more salt to taste if needed. Add 3 Tbsp dill then return to a boil and turn off the heat. Enjoy!