Chicken Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This chicken pasta has a light creamy tomato sauce. It is quite flavorful and comforting minus all the heaviness of traditional creamy alfredo.
- 3/4 lb linguini or fettuccine pasta
- 1 lb 2 medium chicken breasts, trimmed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 roma tomatoes diced (plus more to garnish if desired)
- 1/4 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli flakes (optional - omit if making for children)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil plus more to serve
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese to serve
Cook pasta in salted water with 1 Tbsp olive oil until aldente according to package instructions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
Trim chicken and season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large deep pan or dutch oven with 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté the first side until golden brown (5 minutes), flip, cover and sauté another 5 min or until done. Remove from pan and rest 10 minutes before slicing against the grain.
In the same pan (no need to rinse it), over med/high heat, add diced tomatoes, green onion, 1/4 tsp chili flakes, 2 Tbsp chopped basil, pressed garlic clove and 4 Tbsp butter. Season with 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste. Add 1 cup wine and cook stirring occasionally until mixture is soft and most of the wine has evaporated.
Once there is only 1/4 cup liquid remaining, stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 tsp salt or season to taste.
Add back the chicken then season to taste if needed. Warm through gently for 2 minutes then toss the pasta with the sauce. Serve with parmesan, chopped fresh parsley and more diced tomatoes for extra freshness.