Kale Salad with Blueberries (make-ahead recipe)
- 1 bunch kale rinsed, tough stems removed and chopped
- 3-4 carrots grated or julienned (here's the julienne-er we use)
- 1 cup craisins dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries added before serving
Stir together the dressing: 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp oil, 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped kale, grated carrots and 1 cup craisins. Add dressing and toss the salad together until leaves are evenly coated with dressing. Cover and refrigerate at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
Toss in thinly sliced red onion and blueberries before serving.
Quick Kale Tip: To remove the tough stems from kale, hold the base of the stem with one hand, pinch at the base of the leaf with the other hand and pull it up the stem to remove the leaves. Stack leaves and chop into small bite size pieces as you would with romaine lettuce. Spin it dry as you would any lettuce.