Sauerkraut Soup Recipe (Kapustnyak)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz bacon chopped
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 3 medium 1 lb potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/3" thick pieces
- 1/4 cup quinoa rinsed, optional
- 2-3 cups sauerkraut triple rinsed & drained (we use 3 cups or about 2 lbs)
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water or to taste
- 1 15 oz can white beans (click to learn how to cook your own beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt Pepper and Mrs. Dash seasoning, to taste
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add chopped bacon and sautee until browned then remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Add finely chopped celery and onion. Saute until softened and golden (5 min).
Add sliced carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup quinoa (if using), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 min.
Add 2-3 cups of well rinsed and drained sauerkraut and half of cooked bacon (I keep some for garnish), white beans with their juice, and 1 bay leaf and continue to cook until potatoes are tender (about 10 min). Season soup to taste (I added 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash). Serve with fresh crusty bread.