Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Sweet Potato Soup is comfort in a bowl. It’s creamy without using cream and an easy, cozy soup recipe you’ll enjoy in the cooler months.
- 8 oz 1/2 lb or about 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery rib, diced (1 "stick" of celery)
- 2 lbs 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, I used "original"
- 2 tsp Salt and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp parsley to garnish, optional
In a large pot, or French Oven, over medium heat, cook bacon in it's own fat until crisp (8-10 min). Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Leave 3 Tbsp oil in the pot; discard excess or leave it in there for a more flavorful soup.
Add chopped onion, and celery and cook 4 min or until soft, stirring occasionally, then add 2 pressed garlic cloves and saute another minute.
Stir in diced sweet potatoes, 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves and 2 tsp salt. Now pour in 4 cups chicken broth, partially cover and simmer 20 min or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
Puree soup until smooth. I accomplished this in two batches in my Blender. Return soup to pot and stir in 1 cup coconut milk, or add it to reach desired consistency then season with more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve in warm bowls. Sprinkle the tops with bacon and garnish with chopped parsley, if using.
Great tip from my husband Vadim: To partially cover with lid, place a wooden mixing spoon across one side of your pot and place your lid over it. This way the lid won't hang over the edge and drip onto the stove and the lid is less likely to shut closed unexpectedly and cause your pot to boil over.