15 Healthy Road Trip Snack Ideas
Since many of you might be hitting the road this summer, I thought I'd share some snack packing ideas with you! I included a balance of healthy, sweet and savory snacks that will please the whole family!
If leaving early in the morning:
- 1. Muffins - homemade are best. The store-bought ones are kinda heavy on the gut.
- 2. Yogurt, drinkable or sqeezeable ones for kids work well - no spoons needed!
- 3. Blend smoothies and take them along!
- 1. Mandarin oranges, clementines
- 2. Apricots
- 3. Cherries
- 1. Almonds, or mixed nuts
- 2. Sun flower seeds with paper cups as spitters
- 1. Sugar snap peas
- 2. Baby carrots, or sliced carrots
- 3. Ranch to di
- 4. Corn on the cob, tastes just as good cold, just omit the butter
- 5. Baby tomatoes or sliced cucumbers
For longer trips, you'll need lunch:
- 1. BLT's with avocado spread
Don't forget drinks!
- 1. Unsweetened carbonated drinks
- 2. Reduced sugar kids drinks
- 3. Coconut Water
- 4. Water, of-course.
For savory cravings:
- 1. String cheese
- 2. Baked Potato Chips
Tips for traveling with children:
Bring pillows and a bed time teddy. Tell kids that it's a really long boring drive and they need to sleep, reassuring them that when they wake up, you'll be almost there. Repeat until children fall asleep. This works about 10% of the time but it's worth trying.
Always pack a barf bag. Always.
Find a creative way to block sunlight coming into kids windows so they don't end up with a sun tan on one leg. And they'll sleep better.
Bring entertainment. We love listening to Adventures in Odessy (great stories with moral lessons that are entertaining for the whole family). An ipad is a good idea too for cartoons, but we usually break it out as a last resort.
!Other necessary items:
Straws, Paper bowls or cups, Zip loc bags, A large ziploc bag for garbage, A gazillion napkins, Baby wipes, Hand Sanitizer