Clam Chowder Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Clam chowder is one of my all-time favorite comfort soups. Luckily it's very easy to make. This recipe is a keeper. I can confidently say this New England Style Clam Chowder rivals my favorite restaurant version! P.S. this recipe has a much lower fat content. This lighter clam chowder only has 1 cup of cream for the entire pot but maintains it's super creamy appeal and has incredible satisfying flavor.
- 6 slices bacon sliced into 1/2" strips
- 2 carrots sliced into thin rings or half rings
- 2 celery stalks diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Chicken broth reduced sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Tobasco
- 1 cup chopped clams with juice I used 2 small cans
- 1 1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper & Salt to taste 1/2 to 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes about 6 medium potatoes, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups milk any kind; I used 2%
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 bunch of Cilantro finely chopped
- Crackers or fresh crusty bread to serve
In a heavy bottomed soup pot or dutch oven, Saute chopped bacon over med/high heat until browned, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on paper towels. You should have about 3-4 Tbsp bacon fat in the pot; remove extra fat if you wish, but I left it in ;).
In the same pot with bacon fat add in 2 sliced carrots, 2 stalks celery (diced), 1 small onion (finely diced) and saute over med/high until soft and golden (7-8 min). Sprinkle with 4 Tbsp flour and stir to combine. Sautee another minute.
Stir in 2 cups chicken broth, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp tabasco, 2 cans chopped clams with juice, 1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp pepper, and about 1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste. Bring to a light boil.
Add 1 1/2 lbs cubed potatoes, 1 cup heavy cream and 2 cups milk. Stir to combine, cover and lightly boil until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, stirring occasionally (17-20 mins). It will thicken as it cools. If it's too thick, you can add a little milk to thin it out.
To serve, garnish with your browned bacon, finely chopped cilantro (cilantro takes it to the next level) and serve with crackers or crusty bread.