Creamy Mushroom and Leek Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
If you haven't tried leeks, they have the texture of artichoke when cooked and a hint of sweet onion flavor. They add color, a healthy boost, and fantastic flavor to this pasta.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms white or brown will do just fine
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped Dill fresh or frozen (use parsley if you don't have access to dill)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper or to taste
- Parmesan to serve
- 12 oz of your favorite pasta cooked in salted water according to package instructions, drained & rinsed.
How to Prep Your Leeks:
Cut off the root hairs and most of your green stems. Keep the stems for making stock. This part is edible when you cook it for longer periods of time.
Cut your leeks in half lengthwise and then half each stock again so you have 4 long quarters. Finley slice the leeks and rinse in cold water to get rid of any dirt in the leek (leeks hide dirt very well). Drain well.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom and Leeks Pasta:
Heat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and the finely chopped leeks. Saute 2 minutes.
Cut mushrooms in half if they are small and into quarters if they are larger. Add halved/sliced mushrooms and 3 pressed garlic cloves. Saute uncovered, stirring often for 8 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream.
Add 2 Tbsp chopped dill, 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste) and 1/8 tsp pepper. Simmer uncovered another 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken up a little.
Pour over your favorite cooked pasta. This would work over just about any noodles. I served it over angel hair pasta (my favorite). Sprinkle with parmesan if you like :)