Braised Zucchini on Crusty Bread and Giveaway!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
There's a spicy kick to this braised zucchini spread. If you want your kiddos to eat this, you might add half of the hot sauce or none at all.
- 4 small 2 lbs zucchini, diced
- 3 medium 3/4 lb carrots, grated
- 4 small 1 lb yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium/large tomatoes 1 lb, skinned and diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers seeded and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce Tabasco or Tapatio
- Crusty Bread to Serve We bought the Rosemary olive oil bread from Costco.
How to Braise Zucchini and Vegetables:
Heat a large, deep pan over medium/high heat. Once it's hot, swirl in 2 Tbsp olive oil. Dice onion and grate carrots. Sauté them until soft (5 min on medium heat), stirring to keep the veggies from scorching.
Dice bell peppers and add them to the pan. Sauté until soft, stirring occasionally (another 5 min).
Dice 4 zucchini. To make it easier to peel the tomatoes, we first blanched them in boiling water for 30 seconds. Dice tomatoes. Add zucchini and diced tomatoes to the pan. Add 3 bay leaves. Cover and cook on med/high until zucchini release their juice (20 min) stirring occasionally.
Remove cover and season with 1 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning, 2 salt (or to taste) and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in 1 Tbsp hot sauce or to taste, then simmer another 10 min or until your mixture is spreadable and not too watery.