Prep Time: 15 minutes
Resting Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Ceviche is loaded with shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber and cilantro; all marinated in fresh lime juice. Use cooked or raw shrimp for this Mexican shrimp cocktail.
- 1 lb shrimp (raw or cooked) peeled, deveined and diced
- 1 cup lime juice from 6 limes
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado (or 2 small avocados)
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup clamato juice (use "picante" version for spicier salsa)
- 16 Tostadas (or a bag of tortilla chips)
- Hot Sauce (Tabasco or Franks Red Hot)
Dice shrimp and place into a large glass (non-metamixing bowl. Squeeze 1 to 1 1/4 cups lime juice from 6 limes over shrimp. Stir to combine then cover and marinate in the refrigerator (marinate 1 1/2 to 2 hours for raw shrimp or until no longer translucent and marinate 15 minutes for cooked shrimp), stirring halfway through.
Chop the vegetables: cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro.
When shrimp are done marinating, add vegetables to the bowl.
Add 1/4 tsp black pepper or season to taste and gently stir to combine. Lastly, stir in 1 cup clamato juice, mixing just to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or over tostadas.