Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup served in bread bowls is the ultimate comfort food. This creamy soup is loaded with fresh broccoli and has just 1/2 cup of cream. Enjoy our version of Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion finely diced (from 1 medium onion)
- 2 cups carrots (3 medium), sliced into thin rings
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli (2 heads of broccoli), cut into small florets
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups shredded), plus more to garnish
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese (mild) shredded
Prep all of your ingredients before you start cooking. In a dutch oven or medium soup pot, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Add onion and carrots and saute until onions soften (5 minutes).
Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp thyme. Bring to a boil then add broccoli and reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until broccoli is softened (10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of broccoli).
In a separate small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cream with 3 Tbsp flour and whisk vigorously until smooth and no longer lumpy then blend in 1 tsp dijon. The mixture will be thick like frosting. Bring the blended soup back to a boil and whisk in the cream/flour mixture, whisking for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and thickened.
Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the cheeses then stir in the reserved cooked vegetables. Season with salt to taste and serve right away. Garnish with more cheddar if desired.