Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes is the quickest and easiest way to make perfectly cooked and silky smooth mashed potatoes.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes peeled and quartered (about 7 medium/large potatoes)
- 3/4 cup water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp of sea salt or added to taste
- 3/4 cup warm milk added to desired consistency
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter softened or melted
- 1 Tbsp parsley or chives (optional to garnish)
Insert trivet into instant pot bowl. Add 3/4 cup water or chicken broth and add 1 tsp salt.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters (large enough that they won’t fall under the trivet (about 1-inch thickness). Place potatoes over the trivet, adding the largest pieces first (so they don’t fall through).
Cover with lid, set the valve to ‘sealing’ position then cook on manual high pressure for 10 min with a quick release. Once pressure has released, remove the lid then remove the trivet using tongs or an oven mitt. Don’t drain the water.
Mash with a potato masher then add the warm milk to your desired consistency. Finally, mix in the softened butter just until blended. For a smoother consistency, blend the potatoes with an electric hand mixer until no lumps remain. Season to taste with more salt if desired.