Easy Taco Salad Recipe
A taco salad is basically a deconstructed taco. It's a low-carb option compared to traditional tacos and taco salads are perfect for make-ahead meal prep.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 Tbsp taco seasoning mix or 1 packet
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 iceberg lettuce medium head, chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup pico de gallo or to taste
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend or to taste
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips or chips
- 1/2 cup sour cream or to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown your beef. When there is no pink left on the meat, spoon out all of the excess fat then add 4 Tbsp or 1 packet of taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until it’s lightly warm or room temperature.
Chop lettuce and place into serving bowls (serves 6 as a side salad or 4 as a main course). Divide ground beef between the bowls over the lettuce.
Add remaining toppings as desired: avocado, pico de gallo, cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over salad before serving. The sour cream and pico serve as the dressing for this salad.