Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
An easy recipe for stuffed cabbage soup. Sauteed beef loaded with vegetables and cabbage in a rich tomato broth. This Cabbage soup is perfect for fall cooking.
- 1 lb ground beef, 80% or 85%
- 2 Tbsp oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped, from ½ large head
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley, or cilantro
In a dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over med/high heat. Once hot, saute the ground beef for about 4-5 minutes or until cooked through, breaking it apart with a spatula as it's cooked. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste.
Once the meat is browned, add 1 Tbsp oil and chopped onion, and saute for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add in the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add in the chopped cabbage, carrot, celery, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and add in the fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.