This parmesan-crusted Lemon Chicken Recipe is so EASY to make and completely ready in 30 minutes! The quick garlic and lemon butter sauce enhances the flavor of the chicken and adds so much flavor to the dish!

Homemade lemon chicken recipe in a skillet topped with a lemon butter sauce and fresh lemon slices then garnished with herbs.

Hey, hey! Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing our Lemon Chicken with the best Lemon Butter Sauce.

Lemon Chicken Recipe:

This dish is going to become a favorite chicken dinner recipe for BUSY evenings. The chicken breast is generously coated in parmesan and pan-fried to give it a crispy crust. The chicken is then smothered in a lemon butter sauce with garlic that adds so much flavor to the chicken.

We love easy 30-minute chicken recipes for busy weeknights and some of our go-to’s include Chicken Marsala, classic Chicken Parmesan and of course this easy lemon garlic chicken. With these recipes in your arsenal, you can make restaurant-quality meals for a fraction of the price of eating out.

Parmesan crusted chicken breast on a bed of mashed potatoes and zucchini in a lemon butter sauce topped with greens.

How to Make Lemon Chicken:

With just a few simple ingredients a few minutes of prep time, you can have yourself the most DELICIOUS crispy chicken breast in a buttery garlic lemon sauce!

1. Cut chicken in half lengthwise and beat with a meat mallet to an even thickness.
  2. Prepare Egg Mixture – whisk together eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
  3. Prepare Parmesan Mixture – in a separate bowl, mix together the parmesan cheese and flour.
  4. Dredge the Chicken – coat in the egg mixture, then generously coat in parmesan mixture, shaking off excess.
  5. Cook Chicken. Add oil to a hot skillet then add breaded chicken and cook 4-5 minutes per side, until golden brown and the internal temperature reads 165˚F with an Instant Read Thermometer.

Cook’s Tip If the chicken crust begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat allowing the chicken to fully cook through.

Step-by-step collage instructions how to make lemon chicken with lemon butter sauce.

How to Make Lemon Butter Sauce:

This 5-minute EASY lemon butter sauce will become a staple in your home. The sauce is tangy from the fresh lemon and butter and the garlic just brings all the flavors together – SO GOOD!

For a quicker dinner, prepare the lemon sauce in a separate saucepan or skillet while the chicken is cooking. Then just pour the sauce over the chicken once it is cooked. Or, you can just cook the chicken, remove it from the skillet (cover to keep warm) and prepare the sauce in the same skillet, then add the chicken back.

1. Saute the garlic and butter until fragrant.
  2. Whisk in the lemon juice, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Allow the sauce to cook over med heat for about 2 minutes.

NOTE: We love the fresh and tangy lemon flavor in this recipe. If you prefer a less lemony flavor, reduce the lemon juice.

Parmesan crusted chicken with a lemon butter sauce in a skillet topped lemon slices.

Can I make this Ahead?

If you like to prep dinner in advance, slice the chicken and add it to the egg mixture, cover and refrigerate until you are ready for dinner. Allowing the chicken to marinate will result in a juicier and more tender chicken breast. Then, just continue with the remaining recipe instructions.

Can I make the Lemon Chicken without Parmesan Crust?

Yes! For a healthier option, completely omit the egg mixture and parmesan mixture. Slice the chicken breast and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Then, continue with the preparation of the sauce.

Substituting for Chicken Thighs?

This lemon chicken will work with chicken breast, chicken thighs, and even chicken tenderloins. You will want to prepare the recipe according to the instructions, the only difference will be in the cooking time. The cook time will depend on the size of the thighs, you want the internal temperature to reach 165F on an instant-read thermometer.

Adding Vegetables to the Chicken in Skillet:

Yes, you may definitely add vegetables to complete the dish. Asparagus, green beans, and zucchini will all go great with the lemon sauce and compliment the chicken

Easy 30-minute Chicken Lemon on a plate with mashed potatoes and zucchini topped with lemon butter.

I can’t wait for you to give this simple chicken dinner recipe a try!

What to Serve with Lemon Chicken?

The EASY chicken dish is completely ready in just 30 minutes and can be served with our Mashed Potatoes or your favorite pasta and it pairs well with Caesar Salad.

More Chicken Recipes to Try:

Natasha's Kitchen Cookbook

Lemon Chicken with BEST Lemon Butter Sauce

Author: Valentina Ablaev
Lemon chicken in lemon butter sauce in skillet garnished with lemon slices
This parmesan-crusted Lemon Chicken Recipe is easy and done in 30 minutes! The quick lemon butter sauce pairs so well with the chicken.
Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients for Parmesan Crusted Chicken:

• 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, (2 large), patted dry with paper towels
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil , to sautee
  • 1 Tbsp parsley, to garnish (optional)
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced for garnish (optional)

For the Egg Mixture:

For the Parmesan Breading Mixture:

Ingredients for Lemon Butter Sauce:

• Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Lightly beat with a meat mallet until even in thickness.
  • In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the egg mixture. In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the parmesan mixture. Dip chicken into the egg mixture, then dredge chicken in the parmesan mixture. Allow any excess ingredients to fall off from each bowl.
  • In a large skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet. Once hot, add the chicken and cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until crispy, golden and cooked through to 165˚F on an Instant Read Thermometer. Reduce the heat if chicken browns too quickly.
  • Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, melt butter and garlic, cook until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and pepper. Allow the sauce to cook for about 2 minutes. Pour the sauce over the cooked chicken, turning to coat. Garnish with lemon slices and finely chopped parsley if desired.

Nutrition Per Serving

560kcal Calories9g Carbs46g Protein38g Fat20g Saturated Fat273mg Cholesterol1109mg Sodium738mg Potassium1g Fiber1g Sugar1105IU Vitamin A17mg Vitamin C322mg Calcium2mg Iron
Lemon Chicken with BEST Lemon Butter Sauce

Iron

mg
Course: Main Course
Keyword: lemon chicken
Cost to Make: $$

Valentina Ablaev

I am Valentina, the creator behind the food blog Valentina’s Corner where I share our family’s favorite recipes. When I am not in the kitchen, I enjoy spending quality time with my husband and 5 children. We invite you to join us on our blogging journey!

Read more posts by Valentina

Comments

• Wayne
    January 10, 2024

This isn’t a 30 minute recipe. Took WAAAAY longer. Plan at least an hour or more start to finish.

• Liza
    January 7, 2024

Made this tonight for my fam and it was delicious! We loved it! Thanks for the recipe! Will definitely add this to our fam menu!

January 7, 2024

Great to hear that your family enjoyed this recipe!

• Lindsey
    January 7, 2024

Hello – how long can I leave chicken in egg mixture before cooking? Is 24 hours okay?

January 8, 2024

Hi Lindsey! I have not tried to marinate this in the egg mixture, I just dip it in the egg mixture and then dredge it in the breading.

• Erin
    January 6, 2024

This recipe is so good! Everyone from my picky 4 year old to my husband love it!

January 6, 2024

That’s wonderful to hear, Erin!

• Laurie
    January 2, 2024

Could this be done in a air fryer? …………….looks delicious

January 2, 2024

Hi Laurie! I have not tested this in an air fryer to advise.

• Gail
    December 30, 2023

Are you using boneless chicken breast? I am assuming so as you say to use a mallet. Sounds delish!

December 31, 2023

Hi Gail! That’s correct. I hope you love this recipe if you try it!

• Caitlin
    December 29, 2023

This was delicious! I added some panko breadcrumbs to the recipe to add some crunch. It was amazing. I served it over rice and steamed green beans. Definitely making this again.

December 29, 2023

That sounds amazing, Caitlin! Thank you for sharing.

• Mannette Raines
    December 28, 2023

This was a big hit. Easy and delicious. I used thinly sliced chicken breasts and served it with Freda Stokes purple potatoes, roasted broccolini and Romaine lettuce wedges. It is going in my 2024 repertoire. Thank you. Mandy

December 28, 2023

So glad it was enjoyed! Thank you for sharing.

• Laura
    December 28, 2023

Delicious. I used extra garlic and vege broth in the sauce, as well as generous olive oil to cook the chicken. Thyme instead of Italian seasoning and a mix of parm and Asiago. Also added zest of 1 lemon to the sauce. This paired really well with frozen yellow beans I blanched and then threw in with the sauce once it thickened up a bit. Super tasty. I haven’t cooked a chicken breast in 20yrs and this came out great!

December 28, 2023

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Laura.

• Susan
    December 26, 2023

Delicious!!!! My family loved this chicken. This was very quick and easy to make. I made a little extra sauce to put over linguine for the side.

December 26, 2023

That’s great! Nice to hear that your family loves this recipe a lot.

• Vernette
    December 12, 2023

I made this for supper tonight, truthfully not expecting a lot. My husband doesn’t like lemon, fried chicken or anything with a lot of butter in it. But I wanted to try it. It is so good. My husband said Make this again, don’t lose the recipe. It’s a keeper, I do think I might try thickening the sauce a little more

December 12, 2023

Thank you for sharing that with us, we’re glad that you both enjoyed it!

• Tina
    December 9, 2023

I’m making this tonight for dinner. I’m going to add capers and sautéed zucchini. I can’t wait for dinner tonight.

December 9, 2023

Sounds delicious, Tina!

• Makeda AsSalaam
    December 8, 2023

This was the most amazing chicken dish Ive made in a long while! Hubs loved it too 🙂

December 8, 2023

So glad it was enjoyed! Thank you for sharing.

• Donna
    December 6, 2023

Love this recipe. I have bought 5 of your new cookbook for Xmas gifts, but cannot find the
    lemon chicken and chicken broccoli stir fry. Can you let me know how to find it, or was these favorites missed. Thank you Donna

December 6, 2023

Hi Donna! Thank you so much for purchasing the cookbooks. That’s means a lot. The cookbook does not have all of my recipes. It has a few of our old but improved favorites and many of new ones that are not on the blog.

• Tracy
    December 6, 2023

Sooooooo good! prep took longer, but next time I think I’ll prep some ahead vs doing it all at dinner time.

December 6, 2023

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Tracy!

• Cathy vorndran
    November 18, 2023

I can’t do chicken, as much as I try, it’s either dry, not seasoned. Just blah. But I loved this. So flavorful. Only thing I changed was I had no chicken broth. Just base bouillon, so I stirred it in with garlic, butter and lemon juice. My husband loved it and it drove the dog crazy. Will make again for sure!!

November 18, 2023

Hi Cathy! That’s awesome. I’m so glad you’re loving it!

• Lili Gresve
    November 12, 2023

Made this the first time and it was AWESOME, paired with grilled zucchini. The second time, the lemon butter sauce was off, not sure what I did 😢. Shall try again, thanks for this recipe !

November 12, 2023

Hi Lili, I can’t tell what happened too. Just makw sure to follow the exact timing and measurements in the recipe. I’m sure it will be perfect on your next try!

• Chef Jeff
    November 11, 2023

Yum yum. I’ve had this recipe saved for a while and decided to give it a go. Tried this recipe for my lovely wife.
    Followed recipe to a tee complimented by grilled asparagus and Caesar salad.
    Sooooo good. My only comment is I would cut back on the butter, otherwise delicious.

November 11, 2023

Thank you for sharing! I’m glad it was enjoyed!

• Sandy
    November 9, 2023

I made this tonight for dinner and followed the recipe. I ended up using Parm/Romano in the green container and the breading was perfect! I used olive oil and made sure it was pre-heated before adding my chicken. I then cooked and didn’t touch for 3 min. I did try to push one over a little and the breading started to come off. I think the trick for the breading to stay put is not to disturb for the first 3 min. I also served it on a bed of angel hair pasta. For that I used 1# box pasta, as that was draining I threw 2T. butter back into the hot pot, zest of the whole lemon and saved 1/2 c. of the pasta water. Put my noodles into the butter/zest and kept tossing and gradually adding the pasta water. Was fantastic! I will definitely make this again. Thank you for the recipe!

November 10, 2023

Hi Sandy! Thank you for sharing your experience with the recipe.

• Nikki Pinkerton
    October 30, 2023

Absolutely delicious. Made exactly as described. So easy and so good. Served with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf. Will be making this regularly. Thank you! 🥰💯

October 30, 2023

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Nikki!