Chicken Fried Rice (VIDEO)
Chicken Fried Rice is one of our go-to EASY 30-minute meals. Fried Rice is perfect for meal prep and a genius way to use leftovers. It’s actually even better with leftover rice. Watch the video tutorial below and you’ll see how easy this is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe:
Fried rice is perfect for meal prep. It comes together fast and it reheats well. It’s also a great way to use up leftovers. If you cook rice earlier in the week, make more than you will need and put it into fried rice. Leftovers never tasted so good!
Pro Tips for Making Fried Rice:
- For best results, start with cold cooked rice. Do not use freshly cooked warm rice or it will become gooey and sticky in the pan.
- Fried rice should be cooked quickly over high heat. Give your skillet a chance to preheat before adding ingredients and avoid the urge to stir constantly, especially when the rice is added. Allow things to crisp and brown slightly.
- This recipe moves fast so prep all of your ingredients before firing up the stove.
- Add ingredients in the right order. If you add everything at once, the pan will cool too quickly and steam-cook your ingredients.
What is Fried Rice?
Fried rice is a Chinese stir fry made with rice. Scrambled eggs and veggies are usually added along with some type of protein like shrimp, chicken, or ham. It is traditionally cooked in a wok, but a large heavy non-stick skillet works just as well. Fried rice can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main course.
The Best Chicken for Stir Fry:
Adding chicken to fried rice is a great way to incorporate more lean protein. We prefer chicken thighs for chicken fried rice. The dark meat has more flavor and is more forgiving; it remains tender even when it is overcooked. It also works great with chicken tenders or chicken breasts. Just use what you have on hand.
How to Cook Rice for Fried Rice:
Leftover chilled white rice is best and is less likely to turn gummy on the skillet. If you want to cook rice for fried rice, you will need 1 1/2 cups of raw rice to make 5 cups cooked rice. We use Jasmine rice but any long grain rice will work.
- Thoroughly rinse rice in a colander until water runs clear – this removes extra starch.
- Cook according to package instructions. We put 1 1/2 cups rinsed into a medium saucepan, add 3 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp butter. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer, cover with a lid and cook 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes.
- Spread rice into a casserole dish or baking sheet and cool to room temperature then refrigerate until chilled.
More (Family Favorite) 30-Min Meals:
- Beef and Broccoli – better than takeout
- Philly Cheesesteak – just like in Philly
- Lemon Chicken Pasta in alfredo sauce
- Taco Soup – perfect for taco night
- Chicken Parmesan – feeds a crowd
Watch How to Make Chicken Fried Rice:
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make restaurant-quality fried rice.
If you enjoyed this chicken fried rice video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing! We love spending time with you on our Youtube Channel.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 lb chicken thighs boneless, skinless and trimmed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp extra light olive oil or high heat cooking oil
- 4 large eggs
- 5 cups cooked white rice chilled*
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or added to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil or to taste
- 12 oz frozen peas and carrots fully thawed
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
Bring a large non-stick skillet or wok over medium/high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until fully cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add 1 Tbsp oil then scrambled eggs and stir and scramble for a minute, breaking up the egg with your spatula. Cook just until no longer wet and immediately transfer to the plate with chicken.
Use tongs to wipe skillet clean with a paper towel. Swirl in another 1 Tbsp oil then spread 5 cups rice evenly over the pan. Cook 1 to 2 minutes without disturbing then stir and sauté another 1 to 2 minutes. Rice should sizzle.
Drizzle 2 Tbsp soy sauce and 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil over the rice and stir well. Add fully thawed vegetables and mix well.
Add cooked chicken and scrambled eggs back to the pan. Add 1/4 cup green onion and mix well. Continue to cook until veggies and rice are hot and rice sizzles, stirring frequently. Add more soy sauce and sesame oil to taste.
*1 1/2 cups of raw rice will make about 5 cups of cooked white rice. If you are making rice for this recipe, be sure to rinse the rice before cooking to remove extra starch so your fried rice doesn’t end up sticky.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen