BLT Salad Recipe with the Best Dressing
There’s an interesting story behind this BLT Salad Recipe! Anyone can make a BLT salad (the name is a dead giveaway of the ingredients and it’s basically a deconstructed sandwich) but not every BLT dressing is created equal! A few years ago, we attended my husbands’ cousin’s wedding and their reception was in a fancy hotel in Washington state.
There was a salad on the menu and the dressing tasted just like a favorite salad of ours (Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Salad) except it was served over a bed of greens and I thought – “YAAAASSSS! This is brilliant!” Why not put the same tasty dressing on every salad possible? Why not put it on a BLT salad loaded with fresh lettuce, crispy bacon, bright tomatoes and of course croutons (and these were homemade by the way!).
The dressing for this salad is spot on and my Mom mmm’d her way through her bowl. It was an instant win because it has the same familiar family-favorite dressing but it’s served in a really exciting way. I venture to call this our new house salad; ‘Natasha’s House Salad.’ I won’t lie – I kinda like the sound of that! 😉
Ingredients for BLT Salad:
* I baked ‘ma bacon on a foil lined baking sheet for about 14-15 min at 400˚F. Thick cut bacon can take closer to 20 min.
**Photographed is a Boston lettuce (also known as bibb or butter lettuce). You can also use romaine, or green leaf.
For the Creamy BLT Salad Dressing:
3 Tbsp mayo
4 Tbsp sour cream
1 large garlic clove, pressed
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
1 to 2 Tbsp milk, or add to desired consistency
How to Make the Best BLT Salad:
1. Make the dressing first to allow the flavors to meld. In a small bowl, combine 3 Tbsp mayo, 4 Tbsp sour cream, 1 pressed garlic clove, 1/4 cup chives, 1/8 tsp black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt (or season to taste). Stir together with a fork then add 1 to 2 Tbsp milk, or add milk to desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and croutons. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing (adding it to taste) and toss to combine. You may or may not use all of the dressing depending on how large your head of lettuce was. I had a tablespoon or so left over.
This BLT Salad is easy peasy and you have one ridiculously tasty salad! Enjoy this my friends! 🙂
BLT Salad Recipe
Ingredients for the BLT Salad:
- 12 oz sliced cooked bacon*
- 1 to 2 cups croutons
- 1 lb 3 cups tomatoes (any kind), sliced
- 1 medium/large head of lettuce ** chopped, rinsed, dried
For the Creamy BLT Salad Dressing:
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 4 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 large garlic clove pressed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbsp milk or add to desired consistency
Make the dressing first to allow the flavors to meld. In a small bowl, combine 4 Tbsp mayo, 4 Tbsp sour cream, pressed garlic clove, 1/4 cup chives, 1/8 tsp black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt (or season to taste). Stir together then add 1 to 2 Tbsp milk, or add milk to desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large mixing bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and croutons. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing (adding it to taste) and toss to combine.
* I baked 'ma bacon on a foil lined baking sheet 14-15 min at 400˚F. Thick cut bacon can take closer to 20 min.
**Great lettuce options: Boston/bibb/butter lettuce, romaine, or green leaf lettuce.
What is your families all-time favorite salad? We get into grooves where we make the same salad all the time for an entire season because we love it so much! Are you the same way?