This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
There are two kinds of cabbage in this; green and purple. I think purple cabbage is strikingly beautiful. I love purple. It happens to be my favorite color. This cabbage and cucumber salad is perfect for Fall. The sunflower oil is important. The flavor and smell of sunflower oil is so nice. It really improves the flavor of any salad that has an oil-based dressing. I’m happy to report that Amazon has an excellent selection of Sunflower Oils. My bottle was gifted to me by my Mama. Most Russian stores carry it. **side note: Now I need some advice… I clocked out at 9pm singing my son to sleep and woke up at 2:00 am! Now I’m blogging and hoping I can go back to sleep tonight. I really have to catch my groove the first day off after a night shift. I’m
kinda really cranky when I’m tired. I’m also prone to grumbling, bad hair days are more common, and my sense of humor goes to pot. I keep trying different routines that aren’t really working. Any suggestions out there? …End of side note**
Ingredients for Cabbage and Cucumber Salad:
1 white cabbage
1/2 red cabbage
1 English cucumber
1 bunch green onion
4 Tbsp sunflower oil
1.5 Tbsp vinegar
1.5 tsp salt
How to Make Cabbage and Cucumber Salad:
1. Wash all the vegetables. Using mandolin, thinly shred 1 white cabbage and 1/2 red cabbage and place them in a large bowl. (Alternate method for shredding is using a sharp knife to finely shred cabbage; it’s just more time consuming). Do protect your hands if using a mandolin. I’m sporting my new Trudeau Oven Gloves. They are very functional; unlike a regular oven mitt where you can’t bend your fingers. Oh wait, that’s my husbands hand there; I don’t have man hands, but the gloves fit us both.
2. Peel and julienne 1 English cucumber and finely dice green onion. Add both to the bowl.
3. In a small bowl, make your dressing by mixing 4 Tbsp sunflower oil, 1.5 Tbsp vinegar and 1.5 tsp salt. Stir it into the salad to taste. You may not need all of it depending on the size of your cabbages. Most people just drizzle in the dressing ingredients to-taste, but I’ve always considered that risky business.
This salad is best when served fresh, enjoy 😀
This cabbage and cucumber salad is a classic Fall salad and a staple in our home!
Cabbage and Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 medium head of white cabbage
- 1/2 medium head of red/purple cabbage
- 1 English cucumber or 4 small cucumbers
- 1 bunch of green onion
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Wash your vegetables. Using a mandolin or knife, thinly shred 1 white cabbage and 1/2 red cabbage. Place them in a large bowl.
- Peel and julienne 1 English cucumber and finely dice green onion. Add both to the bowl.
- In a separate small bowl use a fork to mix 4 tbsp sunflower oil, 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Stir it into the salad to taste. You may need less depending on the size of your cabbages.