How to Make Pita Chips (Easy Recipe)
Homemade Pita Chips are a great way to use up leftover Pita Bread. They are also way more satisfying than store-bought. The flavor and texture are just right – crisp, crunchy, and perfectly seasoned.
We love these dipped in Whipped Feta Dip or Homemade Hummus. Check out the step-by-step photos and see how easy it is to make Pita Chips from scratch.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Pita Chips Recipe
What are Pita Chips? They are essentially Pita Bread cut into wedges or chips, that are oiled, seasoned, and baked until crisp. They are used instead of chips or crackers. They are popular in Mediterranean, Greek and Middle Eastern Cuisine.
Store-bought pita chips tend to be quite thick, stiff, and hard to bite into. Fresh home-baked pita chips are much more pleasant to crunch and munch and easier to chew. Homemade also takes about 15 minutes to make. They are quick, easy, and really satisfying.
The key to making great pita chips is in getting the right pita bread. If you don’t have time to whip up homemade pita bread, then look for the pocket pita bread style for crispy and airy pita chips.
- Pita Bread – We have tried this with different kinds of pita bread, both the thicker bread-like pita bread from Costco and the classic pocket-style pita bread. I prefer the pocket style. Its thinner layers help it bake faster, crispier, and lighter.
- Extra virgin olive oil – use a good oil that adds flavor to the pita.
- Dried herbs – we use a combination of dried basil and oregano to add Mediterranean flavor.
- Garlic powder – adds mild garlicky flavor
- Salt – you can add this to taste depending on what you’re serving the pita chips with. If you are using a saltier dip like Crab Dip or Spinach Artichoke Dip, use 1/4 tsp and use more if you prefer more.
How to Make Pita Chips
- Combine Seasonings – Stir together olive oil and seasonings and set aside for the flavors to meld.
- Cut tortillas – use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut pita bread into triangles.
- Toss together – Put pita triangles into a large mixing bowl, drizzle with the oil mixture and toss together until coated.
- Bake – arrange pita pieces in a single layer on a large baking sheet or divide into 2 smaller baking sheets if needed. Bake at 400˚F for 8-12 minutes until crisp.
Pro Tip: Bake time will vary depending on the thickness of your pita bread. If you are using the thicker pita bread, it will take 10-12 minutes for the pita chips to crisp up. If using pocket-style pita bread, it will bake up in 8-9 minutes.
We love to serve these chips as a great snack with dips and they are a lovely option on a Charcuterie Board. Try dipping pita chips into:
Are Pita Chips Healthy?
Homemade pita chips are a better choice than storebought. Here’s why:
- Better oil – you control the quality of the oil you use. Extra virgin is a more expensive oil that isn’t often used in commercial brand pita chips.
- Less salt – storebought chips can be quite salty which can be overwhelming depending on what you are serving them with. We love that you can add salt to taste here.
- Quality pita bread – you can purchase whole wheat pita bread or make Homemade Pita Bread with fresh and even organic ingredients.
- Preservatives – Store-bought foods are often made with preservatives for longer shelf life. Homemade don’t keep as long, but it’s worth the tradeoff for better-quality food.
- Baked – chips that are baked and not fried are healthier because they don’t soak up as much oil.
How to Store Pita Chips
Once pita chips are fully cooled, store them in an airtight container or zip-top bag at room temperature for up to a week. They will keep better and stay crunchier in a dry environment.
Homemade pita chips not only taste better than storebought, but it’s such a smart way to use up leftover Pita Bread. It’s also so easy! Let me know what you like to serve with your chips.
Pita Chips Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a measuring cup, combine extra virgin olive oil and seasonings, stir to combine.
- Cut pita bread into triangles. For an 8-inch pita bread, you can use a pizza cutter to slice it into 8-10 wedges or triangles.
- Combine pita bread in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil mixture and toss with your hands until evenly coated.
- Arrange pita chips in a single layer. I fit the whole batch on a large half sheet, but you can also use 2 smaller baking sheets. Bake at 400˚F in a single layer for 8-12 minutes (*depending on thickness of pita bread) flipping halfway. Bake until crisp, golden and firm. If you have 2 baking sheets, rotate them halfway through baking.