Mom’s Creamy Beet Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This creamy beet salad is easy and quite tasty. I love a good beet; from my head down to my feet. They’re so healthy and used quite often in Russian and Ukrainian cooking; especially in borscht. Kids love that they’re sweet… I love that they’re sweet!
Mom planted some unique heirloom beets in her garden. Don’t panic if you can’t find the long ones in stores. They are normal beets really; they just happen to look like giant sausages.
Ingredients for Creamy Beet Salad:
4 medium/large beets (Any shape beets are ok).
1 small red onion (about 1/4 cup finely chopped)
3-4 Tbsp real mayo to taste
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
How to Make Creamy Beet Salad:
1. You can make Instant Pot Beets or Boil beets with skin on about 1 hour or until easily pierced with a fork. If a beet is older or really big, it may take longer. The smaller, younger beets may cook in 45 minutes. Let cool in cold water (or in the fridge overnight if you want to make the beets ahead). You can make them 2-3 days ahead and refrigerate until ready to use!
Anyway, once they are at room temp or cool enough to handle, peel off skin. Most of the time, it should come off easily when you rub the beet with your hands (use kitchen gloves to keep from staining your hands)
2. Use a mandolin to julienne your beets or torture yourself and try to cut the matchsticks by hand. Just be prepared for really gnarly looking red finger nails if you don’t have a mandolin. Wear kitchen gloves if you are fond of your manicure. Place your sliced beets in a large bowl and top with 1/4 cup finely diced red onion.
3. Add in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp vinegar, and 3-4 Tbsp real mayo to taste. Give it a good stir. You’re done!!
Did you notice the onions mysteriously disappeared from the picture above? It’s really not mysterious at all; you can add stuff into this salad in any order; just in case someone asks 😉
The chives were only for effect. You can add them if you want effect too; otherwise it looks a little boring being one color (but it sure doesn’t taste boring!).
Mom's Creamy Beet Salad
- Boil beets with skin on about 1 hr or until easily pierced with a fork. Larger/older beets may take longer. The smaller/younger ones may cook in 45 min. Let cool in cold water or at room temp. Once cool enough to handle, peel the beets skin by rubbing it with your hands. Use kitchen gloves to keep from staining your hands with beets.
- It's easiest to use a mandolin to cut beets into matchsticks or julienne slices. Again, use gloves if slicing by hand. Place your sliced beets in a large bowl and top with 1/4 cup finely diced red onion.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp vinegar, and 3-4 Tbsp real mayo to taste. Stir everything together and that's it!
- Sprinkle with chives for a little pop of color.