Carrot Salad with Coriander
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This Carrot Salad with Coriander is a staple at church potlucks. It’s a simple salad with one main ingredient: carrot. This salad is often made with loads of garlic, which is overpowering, but not this recipe!
This is Mom’s recipe and my husband really prefers this version. This is also referred to as Korean salad. The fragrant coriander is the “secret” ingredient.
Ingredients for Mom’s Carrot Salad:
4 medium/large carrots, cut into fine match sticks or with grader for Korean salad
1 Tbsp white vinegar (5%)
1 garlic clove, pressed (add more if you like)
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp oil (olive or canola)
1 medium onion, finely diced
How to Make Carrot Salad:
1. Julianne carrots and dice onions. I used this thin Julianne slicer which worked great.
2. Mix together carrots, vinegar, garlic, coriander, salt and sugar.
3. Heat oil in the medium skillet over medium/high heat than saute onion until soft and golden (about 5-6 minutes). Add pepper and stir the onions and pepper quickly. Immediately after stirring, add the onion to the carrots.
4. Mix everything well and let salad sit for at least 1 hour before serving. Add more salt & sugar (in equal parts), to taste. If it’s too flavorful after 1 hour, add more carrot.
Serve as a side dish. Enjoy 🙂
Russian Carrot Salad with Coriander
- Mix together 4 grated carrots, 1 Tbsp of vinegar, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp of coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Heat some oil in the medium skillet over medium/high heat than saute 1 diced onion until soft and golden (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add 1/4 tsp of ground pepper and stir the onions and pepper quickly. Immediately after stirring, add the them to the carrots.
- Mix well and let salad sit for at least 1 hour before serving.