Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe ready in just 30 minutes! Juicy and tender beef patties smothered in the most delicious homemade mushroom gravy. It’s incredible over creamy Mashed Potatoes. Even the picky eaters will approve of this one-pan dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey! Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing our Traditional Salisbury Steak Recipe.
What is Salisbury Steak?
Originating in the United States, Salisbury steak is a popular dish made with seasoned ground beef patties that are smothered in gravy with mushrooms (often accompanied by caramelized onions).
Homemade Salisbury Steak is perfect for busy weeknights. It comes together quickly, is inexpensive to make, uses pantry staples and is flavor-packed.
Fun fact: Salisbury got its name from an American physician, Dr. J. H. Salisbury. He encouraged a meat-centered diet and this dish was named in his honor.
How to Make Salisbury Steak?
- PATTIES: In a large bowl, add the ingredients for the beef patties and mix until well incorporated. Shape into 4 oval or round patties flattening the center for even thickness throughout. Cook patties until golden brown on both sides, remove from the skillet. (NOTE: You want to use lean beef, 90% works best.)
- MUSHROOMS: Sauté ½ the onion in the same skillet just until they start to become tender, add the garlic and butter and stir. Add the sliced mushrooms, sauté until the mushrooms are browned, mixing frequently. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- GRAVY: In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients for the gravy and pour into the mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until gravy thickens, stirring as needed. Add the patties back to the pan. Completely cover with the gravy and mushrooms and cook until patties are reheated.
What Can I Serve Salisbury Steak With?
Though you can serve the beef patties in gravy over rice or even egg noodles, the most classic side dish is mashed potatoes. You can add a vegetable to the side and any of these will work great:
- green beans
- baked asparagus
- easy roasted vegetables
Can I Substitute Ground Beef?
This is classically made with ground beef, but this recipe is versatile. You can substitute ground meats that you have on hand. Try ground turkey for a Turkey Salisbury Steak.
Try these other EASY dinner recipes:
- Beef and Broccoli – with the best stir fry sauce
- Philly Cheesesteak – the ‘original’
- Baked Chicken Fajita– one pan and so quick
- 1-Pan Lemon Chicken– perfect flavor combo
- Explore our Best 30-Minute Meals Here
You are so in for a treat with this traditional Salisbury Steak Recipe. If you have picky eaters and they don’t like mushrooms, just serve their patties without the mushrooms. For the kiddos, it’s like a juicy hamburger in gravy and they love it!
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe ready in 30 minutes! Tender, juicy beef patties smothered in mushroom gravy. Serve Salisbury Steak over creamy mashed potatoes.
For the Salisbury Steak:
For the Mushroom Gravy:
In a bowl combine all of the ingredients for the beef patties (except the oil). Mix until well incorporated and shape into 4 oval or round patties flattening the center for even thickness throughout.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a non-stick pan, once hot, add patties to the skillet and cook until patties are golden brown on both sides and fully cooked. Remove the patties from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
Sauté ½ onion (you can also slice onion into thin slices, whatever your personal preference is) in the same skillet. Once the onion starts to become tender, add the garlic and butter and mix.
Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned, mixing frequently. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, whisk together all of the remaining gravy ingredients: 2 Tbsp flour, 1 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp dijon, 2 tsp ketchup, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Pour into the mushrooms and cook until the gravy thickens.
Add the patties back to the pan and completely cover with the gravy and mushrooms and cook just until patties are heated through.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen