Strawberries Romanoff Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Strawberries Romanoff is a no-bake, easy and luscious summer dessert. It is the adult version of Strawberries and Cream (one of my favorite recipes since childhood). This dessert feels and tastes fancy but it’s refreshingly simple to make and it is perfect for summer parties!
The whipped cream topping is easy and just works; a simple sweetened whipped cream with sour cream folded into it, which gives it amazing flavor and creaminess. The sour cream keeps the whipped cream fairly stable. I’ve seen (and tested) some variations out there using ice cream, but it quickly melts into a big soupy mess and doesn’t work. Also, don’t add any extra flavoring to the cream – keep it simple. There, now I’ve told you so you won’t be tempted to try it also ;).
WARNING: The next photo will make you crave this strawberry dessert!
Ingredients for Strawberries Romanoff:
*Grand Marnier is an orange flavored liqueur that can be purchased at most liquor stores. If you don’t need it for any other recipe, by all means buy the $4 tiny bottle that is just the right size for this recipe; 1 oz. The bigger bottles can be pretty spendy so I buy the tiny bottles for when I need them, like for this berry tiramisu recipe!
How to Make Strawberries Romanoff Recipe:
1. In a medium bowl, combine hulled and quartered strawberries, 4 Tbsp sugar and 4 Tbsp liqueur, stir to combine then cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
2. Just before serving, in a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup cold heavy cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, fold in 1/4 cup sour cream just until well blended.
3. To serve, stir strawberries then divide between 6 serving glasses or bowls. You can spoon a little syrup over the berries if you like. You can also use this syrup to soak a cake – so good!! Spoon cream over strawberries, dividing evenly. You can also use an ice cream scoop with trigger release for a nice rounded puff of cream. Serve right away or chill and enjoy within 2 hours of assembly.
⬇ Print-Friendly Strawberries Romanoff Recipe:
- 1 1/2 lbs or 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp grand marnier* orange liqueur
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
In a medium bowl, combine cut strawberries, 4 Tbsp sugar and 4 Tbsp liqueur, stir to combine then cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
Before serving, in a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup cold heavy cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold in 1/4 cup sour cream just until well blended.
To serve, stir strawberries and divide between 6 serving glasses or bowls. Spoon a little syrup over the berries if you like.
Spoon cream over strawberries, dividing evenly. Enjoy right away or chill and serve within 2 hrs of assembly. This is best enjoyed fresh.
*Grand Marnier is an orange flavored liqueur that can be purchased at most liquor stores. The $4 tiny 1 oz bottle is is all you need for this recipe.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
There is some debate as to where this recipe originated. I have read this is a French recipe, named after the Russian royal family. If you know more history on this recipe, let me know in a comment below!
I hope you all enjoy this fresh, beautiful and simple Strawberries Romanoff Recipe.