How to Make Strawberry Cake Recipe (VIDEO)
F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!!! One of the most popular cake recipes on our blog now has a VIDEO tutorial! Watch and learn How to Make Strawberry Cake. This fresh strawberry cake recipe is loaded with 1 1/2 pounds of fresh strawberries and is definitely a reader favorite! It’s simple to make and doesn’t require a very long list of ingredients. Of course it uses my all-time favorite cake base (a 4-ingredient European sponge cake).
I want you to experience this cake and succeed every time so I made a video recipe for you all :). This is also one of my personal favorites because:
(1) It’s cute as can be with the accidental old world chocolate and strawberry decor
(2) it’s not overly sweet as is hallmark of my desserts (We love our sweets but we also love to experience all the flavors of the cake, not just the sugar ?).
Oh and (3) it tastes bakery quality (I would argue better because it’s homemade!)
Watch How to Make Strawberry Cake:
If you prefer step-by-step photos, see our photo tutorial on How to Make Strawberry Cake Here.
Click to watch the 4-ingredient sponge cake video
Print-Friendly for How to Make Strawberry Cake:
How to Make Strawberry Cake
Cake Layer Ingredients:
- 6 large eggs, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 packages (16 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
Filling/Strawberry Cake Design:
- 1½ lbs fresh strawberries (divided: 1 lb to blend and ½ lb for topping)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips to melt and decorate top
What You Will Need:
- Two 9-inch cake pans, parchment paper, flour sifter
How to Make Strawberry Cake Layers:
- Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of cake pans with parchment paper (do not grease).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 6 large eggs with whisk attachment for 1 min on high speed. With mixer on, slowly add 1 cup sugar and continue beating on high for 8 min, until thick and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Sift flour in thirds into batter, folding gently with spatula as you add it, folding only until no flour streaks remain (do not over mix). Scrape the bottom of bowl to ensure you get any hidden pockets of flour. Do not over-mix.
- Divide batter equally into prepared cake pans and bake at 350˚F fr 23-28 min (our oven took 25 minutes). Top will be golden brown and spring back when poked lightly. Slide a knife or thin spatula around the edges to remove cake from pan then cool cake layers to room temp before peeling back parchment paper. Slice cake layers in half equally.
- Cut strawberries into halves or quarters and place them in bowl of food processor. Pulse until consistency of chunky applesauce and set aside.
- Beat cold cream on high speed with whisk attachment for 1-2 min or until fluffy and spreadable then transfer to another bowl
- In the now empty mixing bowl (no need to wash it), beat together softened cream cheese and ¾ cup sugar for about 2 minor until smooth, scraping down bowl a couple times with spatula. When cream cheese is smooth, fold in whipped cream.
- Place first layer cut-side-up on a cake platter and spread top with ⅓ of strawberry puree.
- Spread ½ cup frosting on the second cake layer and place it over first layer so the strawberries and cream are touching. Repeat with remaining layers.
- Frost the sides and top with remaining frosting. Decorate with reserved ½ lb of fresh strawberries and melted chocolate.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
Have you discovered this cake yet? If not, I hope you’re inspired to make it after watching this video on how to make strawberry cake! 🙂