Kale Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing
This Autumn Kale Salad recipe is loaded with crisp apples, pears and crunchy pecans. The simple honey-lemon dressing coats every bite of this kale salad and makes it completely fresh, healthy and delicious! And it doesn’t hurt that kale is a superfood!
We completely LOVE that this Autumn Kale Salad is a make-ahead salad. Most green leaf salads must be eaten soon after they are made but this one just gets better with time! I recommend letting the kale marinate with the dressing for 4 hours or overnight. We’ve enjoyed this salad after 2 hours but the leaves are softer and and just right after marinating 4 hours.
PS. The lemon dressing preserves the fruit so leftovers of this kale salad are still very tasty the next day – perfect for a work or school lunch! 🙂
Ingredients for Kale Salad Dressing:
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp honey (or sugar)
1/2 tsp salt (we used sea salt)
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Ingredients for Kale Salad:
1 bunch (8 cups loosely packed) kale, well rinsed
1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 crisp apple (I used fuji)
1 ripe, firm pear
1 cup pecans, toasted on a dry skillet
How to Make Autumn Kale Salad:
1. Combine all dressing ingredients and stir together until honey dissolves. Tip: If your honey doesn’t dissolve readily, you can place the bottom of your dressing container into a bowl of hot water to warm it slightly, which should do the trick!
2.Rinse and strip kale leaves (hold the stem in one hand and pull the leaves off with the other). Chop in bite-sized pieces. I rinse the chopped leaves a second time to ensure there isn’t any dust hidden in the curly leaves then dry them in a salad spinner.
4. Before serving, top with sliced apples, sliced pears, thinly sliced onions and toasted pecans. Toss to combine.
Kale Salad Recipe with Honey Lemon Dressing
Ingredients for Salad Dressing:
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey (or sugar)
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
Ingredients for Kale Salad:
- 1 bunch (8 cups loosely packed) kale, well rinsed
- 1 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 crisp apple (I used fuji)
- 1 ripe, firm pear
- 1 cup pecans, toasted on a dry skillet
- Combine all dressing ingredients and stir together until honey dissolves then set aside.
- Rinse and strip kale leaves. Chop in bite-sized pieces. I rinse the chopped leaves a second time to ensure there isn't any dust hidden in the curly leaves then dry in a salad spinner.
- Place kale in a salad bowl, top with 1 cup craisins and drizzle with dressing. Use hands or a large spoon to stir well. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, add sliced apples, sliced pears, thinly sliced onions and toasted pecans. Toss to combine.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
This kale salad is loaded with the good stuff. Every bite is so satisfying! The make-ahead option makes it perfect for serving up at your next party ??