Easy Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Sauce (VIDEO)
This easy Strawberry Cake recipe has nearly 2 pounds of fresh summer strawberries. The cake has a soft, lightly sweet, and moist crumb with bursts of strawberry flavor in every bite.
This strawberry cake is winning in every way: simple ingredients, easy to make, perfect for entertaining and completely yummy. Everything about this cake is good (in an eyes roll back when you take a bite followed by several mmm’s way). This is one crowd-pleasing dessert, but (so you can’t say I didn’t warn you) it disappears fast!
This recipe is based on our wildly popular blueberry cake which was an instant hit and continues to be one of the top 5 recipes on our blog (out of 800+). Enjoy this my friends!
Watch How to Make Easy Strawberry Cake:
Wait until you try the super simple strawberry sauce. It will make you want to lick your plate – it’s just THAT good! You will add it to your regular rotation for pancakes, waffles, crepes, as a dip for soft French bread,… the list goes on.
Ingredients for Strawberry Cake:
2 large eggs
1 cup (210 grams) granulated sugar
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1/2 cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour *measured correctly
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
12 oz (340 grams) strawberries, hulled
Powdered sugar to dust the top, optional
*To measure flour correctly: spoon flour into a dry ingredients measuring cup and scrape off the top with a straight edge. Why? If you push your measuring cup into the flour bin, it will compacts the flour and you’ll end up with too much. I have tested this with a kitchen scale and it can be up to 25% more flour by weight when compacted. True story!
*Watch our easy video tutorial on how to measure correctly
Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:
16 oz (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
Tools Used to Make this Cake (affiliate links):
Print-Friendly Easy Strawberry Cake:
Easy Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Sauce
Strawberry Cake Ingredients:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (210 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- ½ cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour (*measured correctly)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 12 oz (340 grams) strawberries, hulled
- Powdered sugar to dust the top, optional
Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:
- 16 oz (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- Butter a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Prepare 12 oz of strawberries for the cake: dice 6 oz of strawberries and slice the second 6 oz into halves.
How to Make Easy Strawberry Cake:
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat together 2 eggs with 1 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until light in color and thick.
- Add 1 cup sour cream, ½ cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla and beat on low speed until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together: 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and ¼ tsp salt until well incorporated. With the mixer on med/low speed, add flour mixture to the batter ⅓ at a time, letting the flour incorporate with each addition and continue mixing just until well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Top with 6 oz of diced strawberries then spread remaining batter over the top. Cover the surface with 6 oz of halved strawberries, cut-side-down, pressing them down just slightly into the batter. Bake at 375˚F for 45-55 minutes (mine was perfect at 50 min), or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean without wet cake batter. Let cake rest in pan 15-20 min then remove ring and cool to room temp or until just lightly warm.
- While the cake is baking, make the strawberry sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine 16 oz strawberries and ¼ cup sugar (or add sugar to taste) and blend until pureed.
- Allow cake to rest in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes then run a thin spatula around edges to loosen from pan. Cool until just warm or at room temperature. To serve, dust with powdered sugar if desired and drizzle individual slices generously with strawberry syrup.
Notes*To measure flour correctly: spoon flour into a dry ingredients measuring cup and scrape off the top with a straight edge.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
I’d pass you a generous slice if I could! I hope you’re all enjoying summer and all the best of summer; the tastiest strawberries, juicy watermelon, ALL the berries, stone fruit,…
P.S. Are you making anything fun with summer fruit? I’d love to hear your creative ideas in a comment below!