These Breakfast Burritos will make a breakfast person out of you. We love make-ahead breakfast ideas like Breakfast Sandwiches or Egg Muffins to make breakfast easier. You will love the freezer option – they taste just as good as freshly made!
If you are looking for more great breakfast recipes to make breakfast truly memorable, don’t miss our Overnight Cinnamon Rolls with the best frosting, easy Blueberry Muffins or this Breakfast Casserole.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe:
These breakfast burritos are crisp on the outside and filled with tender scrambled eggs, ham, and plenty of melty cheese of course. If you haven’t tried sautéing breakfast burritos, try these and you won’t want them any other way.
This breakfast burrito recipe is one of the first things I learned to cook when Vadim and I got married (16 years ago!) and they have been a family favorite ever since. Breakfast burritos are excellent with hot sauce or Roasted Salsa but they have plenty of flavor and juiciness just eaten plain.
The Best Tortillas for Breakfast Burritos:
We use medium-sized (8-inch diameter) flour tortillas to make breakfast burritos. We find it is just the right amount of dough to filling for a single serving burrito and it is still easy to wrap tightly without the contents escaping. If you prefer a larger shell, a 10″ tortilla will also work well.
Tips for Making Burritos:
- It’s easier to roll using a fresh pack of unopened tortillas and keep them closed until ready to use to prevent drying and cracking.
- To keep older tortillas pliable and prevent cracking, stack between two barely damp paper towels, microwave 30 seconds and keep covered until ready to roll.
- Do not overstuff or the burritos will be difficult to roll.
Variations for Breakfast Burritos:
There is so much room to experiment and make breakfast burritos the way you like them. My kiddos don’t like mushrooms and tomatoes so I make theirs plain with eggs, ham, and cheese. You can also sauté a variety of vegetables instead of mushrooms such as:
- Finely diced onion
- Chopped Bell Pepper
- Hash brown potatoes
Can I Substitute the Ham?
We prefer ham because it reheats really well without much change in flavor. Some proteins like chicken or beef can taste different when reheated. You can substitute the ham with a different protein such as:
- Cooked breakfast sausage
- Browned bacon
- Black beans for a vegetarian burrito
How to Make Breakfast Burritos:
1. Sauté mushrooms, season and remove from frying pan.
2. Whisk together eggs, sour cream, salt, and pepper then stir in chopped ham and sautee in the same pan.
3. Spread 1 Tbsp sour cream in the center of your tortilla and add toppings.
4. Roll the burrito from top to bottom: Pull the top flap down and tuck tightly under the filling. Fold the edges in tightly and roll to seal with the bottom flap.
To Make Freezer Breakfast Burritos:
- Wrap breakfast burritos in parchment paper
- Label the outside of the parchment with the contents and date
- Transfer to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze up to 1 month.
How to Heat Breakfast Burritos:
Thaw: For best results, we recommend thawing the frozen breakfast burritos completely in the refrigerator overnight, or you can wrap a frozen burrito in a paper towel and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes on high, turning halfway.
Watch Natasha Make Freezer Breakfast Burritos:
Everything about these breakfast burritos is good. I hope they make busy mornings easier for you. These are so simp;e and so good. If you need more breakfast inspiration, check out our top breakfast recipes here.
If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Breakfast Burritos (Freezer Friendly)
- 6 medium flour tortillas, (8-inch diameter)
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, (8 medium), thinly sliced - optional
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, divided (2 Tbsp for eggs & 1 Tbsp per tortilla)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt , (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, (or to taste)
- 2 oz deli ham, cut into strips or squares, optional
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, (1 cup shredded)
- 1 tomato, diced - optional
- 3 Tbsp olive oil , to saute (add more as needed)
How to Make Breakfast Burrito Filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 eggs with 2 Tbsp sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the strips of ham and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. Add sliced mushrooms and saute until golden (5 min), stirring occasionally. Season lightly with salt and pepper then remove mushrooms.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp of butter, add egg mixture and stir/scramble until the eggs are just cooked through (3 min) don't overcook. Remove from pan and set aside.
Assembling Breakfast Burritos:
- Spread 1 Tbsp sour cream in the center of a tortilla and top with 1/6 of the cooked eggs, shredded mozzarella cheese, and sauteed mushrooms. Add 1-2 Tbsp diced tomatoes if using*. Don't over-stuff or they will be tough to roll.
- Roll the burrito from top to bottom: tightly wrap the top flap over the filling, fold the edges in tightly and role to seal with the bottom flap. Repeat with remaining burritos.
To Heat Burritos:
- Place a large skillet over medium heat with 2 Tbsp oil. Transfer fresh or thawed burritos to the hot pan, folded-side-down, and cook until golden brown on all sides (2 min per side), adding more oil as needed.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
We first posted this recipe in 2011. We rephotographed, added a video tutorial and freezer instructions. It is the same great recipe. Look familiar?