Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches (VIDEO)
Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast sandwiches are a hearty and satisfying breakfast for early working days and school mornings. They are also ideal for camping trips! This recipe comes together fast and is easy to scale up or down.
Homemade breakfast sandwiches are so much better than fast food egg mcmuffins! On more relaxed mornings, we typically make individual breakfast sandwiches or these fresh open-faced Avocado Spread Sandwiches. You’ll want to keep this make-ahead tutorial for busy mornings or to feed a crowd.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches:
Freezer-friendly breakfast sandwiches are the best way to batch cook and meal prep for breakfast. My sister-in-law Inna gave me this helpful make-ahead breakfast idea. Prepping the English muffins and the eggs all at once is fast and couldn’t be easier. We wrap in plastic wrap and they keep really well in a freezer-safe bag.
Baking the eggs in a single casserole dish is brilliant. They puff up like a souffle and the egg patties taste like the best scrambled eggs; soft, fluffy, moist and have great flavor with the shredded cheese mixed in. You can cut the eggs into 6 equal squares or use this round cookie cutter for a prettier look (plus you’ll get to eat the remaining egg in the pan)!
Can I substitute the Ham?
We prefer ham for breakfast sandwiches since it reheats really well, but you can use your favorite deli meat like Canadian bacon, turkey or chicken. You can also use cooked strips of bacon, or breakfast sausage patties (try the homemade patties in our guacamole brunch sandwiches).
How to Reheat Breakfast Sandwiches:
Reheat from frozen: remove plastic wrap, place sandwich on a paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes, turning halfway, or warm until heated through.
Reheat from thawed: thaw overnight in the refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and place sandwich on paper towel-lined plate and microwave 1 minute or just until hot. To reheat in the air fryer, thaw overnight then heat at 350˚F for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
To reheat for camping – thaw sandwich and keep it tightly wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil and place onto a grill or over a campfire. Thick/heavy-duty aluminum foil is best so the muffin doesn’t burn before it has a chance to heat through (3-5 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill).
Breakfast Sandwich Add-Ins:
We love adding something fresh to the sandwich when serving. A fresh ingredient like salad greens, avocado or your favorite sauce is a chef’s secret to making something taste like it was freshly cooked. Serve breakfast sandwiches with:
- Sriracha or Tabasco hot sauce
- Avocado, sliced
- Fresh Spinach leaves
- Tomato, freshly sliced
More Make-Ahead Breakfast Ideas:
These are our most popular breakfast ideas that can be made-ahead:
- Cheese Crepes – also known as “blintzes” or “nalesniki”
- Banana Bread – it stays soft and moist for days
- Breakfast Egg Muffins – freezer-friendly & great for meal prep
- Overnight Cinnamon Rolls – do all your prep ahead and enjoy them in the morning
- Breakfast Burritos – enjoy them fresh or freeze for later
Watch How to Make Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches:
If you enjoyed this Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches video tutorial, join over 618,000 people and subscribe to our Youtube Channel. Click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing! We love spending time with you on our Youtube Channel.
Make-Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- 8 eggs, (large)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded or your favorite cheese
- 6 English muffins
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more to grease the pan
- 4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, (6 slices) or your favorite cheese
- 8 oz Black Forest Ham, (12 slices) or your favorite deli meat
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 8 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1 Tbsp sour cream, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and whisk thoroughly. Stir in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour mixture into buttered 9x13 casserole and bake at 350˚F for 18-20 minutes or until fluffy and not wet on top when poked with your fingertips. Remove from the oven cool 10-15 min in the pan then cut into 6 equal squares or use a large round cookie cutter to cut out 6 circles.
- Set the oven to broil on high heat. Cut English muffins into halves and butter the cut side and place cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil in the center of the oven for 2-4 minutes or until the tops are golden and lightly crisp. Remove from the oven and lightly cool while preparing toppings.
- Assemble the breakfast sandwiches with the bottom bun first, then the egg, followed by a slice of cheese, 2 slices of ham and finally the top bun.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap (or in aluminum foil if using for camping) then place in a large freezer-safe ziploc bag and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 2 months.
*From frozen: remove plastic wrap, place on a paper towel and microwave 3 min on high, (turning halfway) or until warmed through.
*From thawed: thaw overnight in refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and microwave on paper towel-lined plate 1 min or just until hot.
*For camping - thaw sandwich, keep tightly wrapped in heavy-duty aluminum foil and place onto grill or over campfire for 3-5 min.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen