Best Guacamole Recipe (VIDEO)
Learn how to make the BEST EVER Guacamole with our easy video tutorial. This authentic guac recipe is loaded with avocados, tomato, onion, cilantro, plenty of lime juice, salt, and pepper.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We take our guacamole very seriously – we make this on the regular rotation (at least once a week) and after making hundreds of batches, it has been perfected over the years. This is the only guacamole recipe you’ll need.
Watch the Guacamole Recipe Video:
This classic guacamole is the base for so many awesome variations like Corn Guacamole, or even Spicy Guacamole if you wanted to add some heat. Watch the video tutorial and you will see just how easy it is to make an incredible batch of guac.
It’s so easy to master guacamole and once you have this basic recipe down, you can experiment with adding your favorite flavors. If you’re feeling adventurous, another combination we love is to replace tomatoes with diced mango (like our Avocado Mango Salsa).
Ingredients for Authentic Guacamole:
Once you have selected your perfectly ripe avocados, getting the ratio of ingredients is important for the most authentic tasting guac. We use 1 Tbsp of FRESH lime juice for every 1 large avocado. The lime juice helps to prevent browning and the right amount will make your guacamole come alive (but not literally, don’t worry).
Can I Substitute Lime Juice?
Lime juice is the traditional choice, but we often substitute lime juice with lemon juice if that is what we have on hand. If substituting, use the same amount of lemon juice. The KEY is to use freshly squeezed juice and never from concentrate or it will taste like boring store-bought guac.
What is the Best Onion for Guacamole?
White onion is the classic choice for guacamole because of its crisp, fresh, and clean flavor profile. You can substitute for yellow onion or red onion like we did with the Corn Guacamole, but white onion is most commonly used in authentic guac.
How to Select Avocados:
When you are buying avocados, consider when you will be making your guac. If you want guac tonight, select perfectly ripe avocados. If you are shopping ahead, you can get firm avocados and follow our tips below for faster ripening.
- Select Ripe Avocados – ripe avocados should have stems attached and you should be able to push the sides in slightly with your fingertips.
- Avoid Overripe Avocados – overly soft avocados or avocados with missing stems are more likely to have browned on the inside. Tip: to slow down ripening or if making guacamole another day, store ripe avocados in the refrigerator.
- To Soften Hard Avocados – place underripe avocados in a paper bag with an apple or banana (which releases ethylene gasses to speed up ripening) and leave at room temperature for 2-3 days.
How to Make Guacamole:
We use the same basic process for all of our guacamole varieties and you will have it memorized in no time.
- Pit 3 avocado and use a spoon to scoop them into a mixing bowl then coarsely mash with a potato masher.
- Squeeze lime juice directly over the top to prevent browning.
- Add diced tomatoes, cilantro, and onion. Season with salt and pepper and stir just to combine.
Can I Make Guacamole Ahead?
Yes! You can whip up a batch of guacamole a day ahead. Air is the enemy of avocados and will cause it to brown. You can preserve your guacamole by placing plastic wrap directly over the surface of the guacamole, pushing out all extra air. Even if storing in closed tupperware, putting plastic wrap directly over the guacamole first will keep it looking green and vibrant.
Guacamole tastes best enjoyed within a day or so of making it and we do not recommend freezing since the veggies can get soggy when thawed.
Is Guacamole Healthy?
Check out the nutrition label below to see the calories and carbs for guacamole. Guacamole is naturally paleo, gluten-free and low carb so it’s keto-diet friendly. Also, avocados are nutrient-rich and contain a healthy kind of fat. You can read more about their health benefits.
More Appetizer Recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip – our most popular dip recipe
- Shrimp Cocktail Recipe – with the best cocktail sauce
- Pico De Gallo – authentic and mouthwatering
- Ceviche – a shrimp avocado salsa with lime juice
- Cheeseburger Sliders – we love these as an appetizer or main course
Best Guacamole Recipe
How to make the BEST EVER Guacamole. This authentic guac recipe is loaded with avocados, tomato, onion, cilantro, plenty of lime juice, salt and pepper. The only guacamole recipe you’ll need!
- 3 avocados, (large, ripe)
- 1 tomato, (medium), seeded and diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, (1/3 bunch) finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
Cut 3 avocados in half lengthwise, remove pits, scrape the flesh of the avocado out with a spoon. Place in a medium bowl with a flat bottom and mash avocados with a potato masher to a chunky consistency.
Squeeze 3 Tbsp of fresh lime juice directly over avocados while prepping the rest of your ingredients.
Add diced tomatoes, onion, and chopped cilantro. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stir just until combined and serve.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
This classic guacamole recipe was first published in 2010 (the photo below reflects our photography skills from that era). We added new photos and a video tutorial and perfected the ingredient proportions, making this the ultimate guacamole!