Shrimp Tacos with Best Shrimp Taco Sauce (VIDEO)
These Shrimp Tacos are loaded with plump juicy shrimp, crisp cabbage, avocado, cotija cheese, cilantro and an easy shrimp taco sauce that will win you over. They are served over toasted corn tortillas so they are naturally gluten-free.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What makes these Shrimp Tacos is the mouthwatering Shrimp Taco Sauce! This is the same sauce we use on our famous Fish Tacos and it’s mesmerizing. These tacos are an easy 30-minute meal that comes together fast. Taco night will never be the same!
Watch How to Make Shrimp Tacos:
If you enjoyed this Shrimp Taco video tutorial, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel. Be sure to click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Ingredients for Shrimp Tacos:
- Shrimp – We used large 21-25 count shrimp, but the medium (26-30 count) or even small shrimp (31-35 count) would work well. Keep in mind smaller shrimp will cook faster.
- Red Cabbage – the color and flavor is perfect for tacos, but you can sub with green cabbage or even a coleslaw blend
- Cheese – Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is the traditional cheese for Mexican tacos. I found cotija at the grocery store next to the refrigerated tortillas.
- Toppings – avocado, red onion, and cilantro are our go-to toppings for tacos.
The Best Tortillas for Shrimp Tacos:
- Corn tortillas are best for making shrimp tacos. Either yellow or white corn tortillas will do but we love the flavor and texture of white corn tortillas best. Also, corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free which is always appreciated by those with food sensitivities.
- Flour tortillas will work if that is what you have on hand, but corn tortillas are the traditional and more authentic choice for Mexican tacos.
Our Go-To Shrimp Taco Sauce:
We use an easy garlic-lime crema with just a touch of spice from the hot sauce. If you love spicy shrimp tacos, add more sriracha hot sauce to taste. If you like it mild, add less hot sauce.
Serve this with a spoon or transfer to a zip bag to drizzle, but serving it out of a squeeze bottle makes it feel like dining out.
How to Toast Tortillas for Tacos:
- Over a Gas Stove Flame – We love this method for authentic lightly charred edges. Toast the tortilla directly over a medium/low open flame on a gas stove. Use tongs to rotate the tortilla about every 5 seconds. Flip as soon as the tortilla is lightly blackened on the edges and repeat with the second side. Keep your eye on that tortilla and adjust the flame as needed because they can burn quickly.
- On a Griddle – This is our favorite way to make a bunch of tortillas at once. Preheat a dry griddle to medium/high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds per side until golden brown in some spots on each side.
- On a Skillet (preferably cast iron)- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in a single layer (a very large pan can accommodate up to 3 at a time) and toast 15-30 seconds on each side until golden and hot on each side.
Keep these Shrimp Tacos in mind for your next Taco Night and make a taco bar out of it.
Love Tacos? Try these Taco Recipes Next:
- Fish Tacos – our #1 recipe for 3 years in a row
- Ground Beef Tacos – easy peasy and so juicy
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos – with tender shredded chicken
- Beef Bulgogi Tacos – Korean beef tacos
Shrimp Tacos with Best Shrimp Taco Sauce
For the Shrimp:
Shrimp Taco Toppings:
- Thaw and pat dry shrimp with paper towels and place in a medium bowl. Add seasonings and garlic and stir to combine.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and add shrimp in a single layer. Sauté 1-2 minutes per side or just until cooked through. As soon as they are cooked through (white inside with some pink and red accents outside), transfer to a serving platter and set aside to cool.
- Toast 8 tortillas over an open gas stovetop flame on medium/low heat (about 10 seconds per side) until lightly charred on the edges (or on a medium-hot skillet or griddle) until golden brown in some spots (30 seconds per side).
- Thinly slice cabbage, dice the avocado, finely dice the red onion, and coarsley chop the cilantro. Add these to your serving platter along with lime wedges. Build tacos by arranging toppings and shrimp over each toasted tortilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients and serve with assembled shrimp tacos.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen