Crispy Buffalo Wings Recipe
Homemade Buffalo Wings have a secret ingredient that makes them super crisp and irresistible. The easy buffalo sauce is just 3 ingredients and makes these taste like a restaurant-quality appetizer.
If you loved our Air Fryer Chicken Wings, you’ll love these Oven-Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings. You can bake a bigger batch all at once which is great for feeding a crowd. Think Super Bowl appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
The beauty of baked buffalo chicken wings is that you can get the same, crispy texture without the need for splattering hot fryer oil. Using our handy baking powder trick and a wire rack, they get a wonderful crust with a fraction of the fat of deep-fried versions. Tossing the crispy wings together with a buttery, tangy buffalo sauce is irresistibly good.
Ingredients for the Crispiest Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings – Use fresh or thawed frozen wings that are broken down into drumettes and wingettes
- Baking powder – The secret ingredient for getting your chicken wings ultra-crispy without the need for deep frying
- Salt – we use fine sea salt in nearly all of our cooking
- Garlic powder – adds a bit of zest to your wings before tossing them in the buffalo sauce
- Unsalted butter – adds a nice creaminess to the buffalo sauce
- Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce – This is the perfect base for your wing sauce. It’s tangy, a little sweet, and has just the right amount of spiciness.
- Sugar – helps the sauce caramelize and thicken on your piping hot wings.
How to Make Crispy Buffalo Wings
- Prep Chicken Wings – cut wings in half to separate the drums from the wingettes. Pat the wings dry with a paper towel. Preheat the oven and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack over the pan.
- Make dry seasoning – Combine baking powder, salt, and garlic powder.
- Season the wings – Place the chicken wings in a large mixing bowl and toss them in the dry seasoning until well-coated. Assemble the wings in a single layer over the rack.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 50 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Make the Buffalo Sauce – In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter, sugar, and hot sauce.
- Toss Wings in Sauce – Transfer chicken wings to a bowl, and toss, drizzle with sauce and toss to coat. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Tips for the Best Buffalo Wings
- Remove moisture – pat dry with paper towels to remove as much moisture as you can to ensure they turn out crispy.
- Use baking powder – The baking powder creates such an incredible crust on the wings. It’s a must!
- Bake on a rack – A wire rack allows the wings to circulate and makes them crispy all around.
How to Serve
- Restaurant Style – We love to serve buffalo wings as they do at Chilis restaurant alongside some chunky blue cheese dip and celery sticks.
- Avocado Ranch – this dressing is also an amazing dip for buffalo chicken.
- Jalapeno Ranch – if you want a spicy kick to your sauce as well, adding jalapeno adds just the right amount of heat.
- Add fries – you can turn this into lunch by serving with crispy Air Fryer French Fries.
The temperature and timing should be adequate, but you can always use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken (at least 165˚F and tastier if 175˚F).
You can, but be sure to thaw completely before baking, or they won’t crisp up properly.
Add in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper or black pepper to the dry seasoning for a spicier wing.
You can cook the wings following the time and temperature for our Air Fryer Chicken Wings then toss with buffalo sauce to finish. You will need to cook in 3 batches or cut the recipe down to 1 lb of chicken wings.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken is so versatile, from chicken wings to drumsticks, thighs, and chicken breast. My favorite thing to do is Cut a Whole Chicken, freeze the various cuts and then use the bones for the Best Chicken Stock.
If you love chicken as much as we do, you’re sure to find some new favorites in this list of our favorite chicken recipes:
- Baked Chicken Legs
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Crispy Buffalo Wings Recipe
Crisp Buffalo Chicken Wings are irresistible with the best 3-ingredient homemade buffalo sauce. An easy, restaurant-quality appetizer.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Franks Original Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar, or brown sugar
Thoroughly pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack over the pan.
Combine the baking powder, salt and garlic powder in a bowl, sprinkle over the chicken and toss to combine. Arrange chicken on the prepared wire rack.
Bake the chicken for 25 minutes, flip it over and bake for another 25 minutes or until crisp and cooked through.
In a medium-size bowl combine sauce ingredients. Remove chicken from the baking sheet to a bowl. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Toss to coat the chicken in the sauce. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.