Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
Crispy and crunchy homemade air fryer French fries. With just a few basic ingredients you can have Air Fryer fries ready without the mess and grease of classic fried ones. You’ll be enjoying them dunked in ketchup or Homemade Ranch in no time!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love potatoes! Maybe it’s the fact that I live in Idaho (also known as potato land) and grew up eating potatoes. We love everything from classic Baked Potatoes to Creamy Potato Soup and even Potato Salad! We love coming up with creative ways to use spuds.
These Air Fryer fries are a favorite in our home, especially with our kids because they don’t have to wait long to fulfill a craving! It’s the perfect after-school snack.
The Crispiest Air Fryer French Fries
The air fryer method for making homemade French fries is the easiest for cooking fries. Not only is it easy to make, but they are also much healthier than deep frying in oil.
Both the prep and cooking for this recipe are so simple. Thinly sliced potatoes lightly tossed in oil and seasoning, then cooked until crispy and crunchy. All you need is a Juicy Burger or classic BLT Sandwich to go with these.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Fries
The ingredients needed for homemade fries are so simple and you most likely already have them in your kitchen.
- Potatoes – For this recipe, we use russet potatoes (Idaho potatoes) you can also use Yukon gold potatoes which give a creamier center.
- Oil – This recipe calls for olive oil but you can use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Seasoning – We season the fries with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder, but you can use any of your go-to spices for variety.
Pro Tip: Leaving the potato skins on for fries has several benefits including more flavor, a great crispy texture, added fiber and nutrients, and best of all, it SAVES TIME!
How to Make French Fries in Air Fryer
- Scrub Potatoes: We just wash them and keep the skins on, but you can peel if you prefer.
- Cut Potatoes: Clean the potatoes and cut into about ¼” inch strands, making sure all the strands are the same size for even cooking. Rinse the fries under cold water and pat dry.
- Season: Add the fries into a bowl and drizzle with oil and toss, season and toss again. Evenly spread the fries into the air fryer basket.
- Air Fry: Cook the fries until crispy and golden, tossing halfway.
Pro Tip: Season the potatoes just before air frying them. If you add salt too early, it will draw moisture out of the potatoes and cause they won’t be as crispy when air fried.
That is totally fine, you can bake fries in the oven like we did our oven-baked potato wedges recipe.
Add the fries back into the air fryer and cook until reheated and re-crisped.
You do not have to preheat the air fryer for this fries recipe.
Yes, just clean and cut the fries and keep them completely submerged in cold water in the refrigerator until ready to make. Drain and pat dry before cooking the fries.
If you love fries, you understand that the dipping sauce is half the fun! When serving fries, we love to pair it with a variety of dips. Here are some family-approved favorites:
- Buttermilk Ranch (my son’s favorite)
- Avocado Ranch
- Ketchup (my daughter’s fave)
- Jalapeno Ranch
- Onion ring dipping sauce
- Fry Sauce (doubles as burger sauce!)
Remember your Air Fryer the next time you are craving French fries. This is the quickest way to make them and they turn out extra crispy.
More Potato Recipes
- Roasted Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Baked French Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries
Air Fryer French Fries
- Scrub and clean the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into even ¼-inch thick strips.
- Rinse the fries in cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Add the fries into a large bowl and drizzle with the oil and toss. Sprinkle seasonings over the fries and toss again.
- Transfer the fries into the air fryer basket* and cook at 380 for 10 minutes. Toss the French fries and cook for an additional 6-10 minutes until the fries are golden and crispy. Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.