BLT Sandwich with the Best Sauce (VIDEO)
How to make the ultimate BLT Sandwich! Everything from the toasted bread, perfectly cooked bacon, thick slices of tomato and avocado, and our 3-ingredient sandwich sauce that makes this the best BLT recipe you’ll try.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Watch the BLT Sandwich Video:
We’re sharing all of our best tips for making your best BLT Sandwich. This is one of the most popular sandwiches in America. Watch the video tutorial and see why everyone is talking about this recipe.
What is a BLT?
BLT stands for Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato. Ok, ok, so we snuck in some avocado which makes it a BALT, but once you try this iconic sandwich with avocado, there is no going back. Everyone loves the flavor profile of an authentic BLT which is why we now have a BLT Salad and even a Breakfast BLT Sandwich.
The Best Sandwich Sauce Spread:
We fell in love with this sandwich sauce when we tried the Chicken Bacon Avocado Sandwich at Kneaders restaurant. I asked for an extra side of sauce, took it home, and re-created it.
It’s just 3 ingredients and the combination is memorable: mayonnaise, sour cream, and a little bit of yellow mustard. Try it on your next BLT and you will have a new favorite.
How to Cook Bacon:
The easiest (and least messy) way to cook bacon is to bake it in the oven. We prefer regular thin-cut bacon for BLT’s because it’s easier to bite through, but thick-cut bacon will also work well if that is what you have on hand.
- Regular Bacon: arrange in a single layer over a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven at 400˚F for 18-20 minutes.
- Thick-Cut Bacon: Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack over the foil. Arrange bacon over the rack and bake at 400˚F for 30-35 minutes. You can omit the rack but you will need to flip the bacon halfway through so the bottom gets crisp.
How to Assemble a BLT Sandwich:
- Start by cooking your bacon then preparing your sauce and toasting bread.
- Spread 1 Tbsp sauce over the bottom bun then layer with lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, avocado, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Spread another 1 Tbsp sauce over the top bun and place it over the avocado.
Can I Make a BLT Ahead?
A BLT sandwich is delicious for a work or school lunch. To keep the avocados vibrant, toss the avocado slices in a little lemon juice before adding to the sandwich.
To keep the bread from getting soggy, package the tomatoes and sauce separately and add them just before serving.
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love:
Admittedly I’ve never been a sandwich person, but the BLT has my name all over it. It has to be truly special for me to love a sandwich and these never fail to impress. It’s so hard to pick just one favorite but you must try the sliders!
- Chicken Sandwiches – with crispy fried chicken
- Cheeseburger Sliders – a crowd-pleasing favorite that reheats well
- Juicy Burgers – your guide to making the perfect burger
- Reuben Sandwich – with homemade Russian dressing
- Philly Cheesesteak – the authentic way to make it
BLT Sandwich with the Best Sauce
BLT Sandwich Ingredients:
- 8 slices of bread, cut 1/2” thick
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 green lettuce leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 1 large avocado, or 2 small avocados pitted, peeled and sliced.
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Sauce for BLT Sandwiches:
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until browned and crisp then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
Lightly butter both sides of the toast and toast on a dry griddle or skillet over medium-high heat just until golden brown.
Arrange 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and spread 1 Tbsp of sauce over each toast. Add lettuce then tomato, bacon, avocado. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the avocado.
Spread 1 Tbsp sauce over the remaining toasted bread and place over the sandwich, sauce side down. Cut in half if desired and serve.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen